My studer 169 baby...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manarm

Hello,

My new baby is born !!
A pair of Studer 169 modules in a rack
PFL switch is used for Phantom power ON

gnralqx9.jpg

In/Out and Insert wiring

p1030003zb6.jpg

Power wiring and balanced out module

alimiv4.jpg

Some other views

342qh2.jpg

344cp5.jpg

Tomorrow we'll go in a studio for final checks... Hope it's OK

Sorry, I don't understand "buggeroo".
Yes this PCB is the balanced output. I've used it a couple of times with no problem. It's a quite simple and transparency schematic. Today's tests will determine if it adds or removes anything in the sounding of the modules or not...

Thanks for appreciating my work :guinness:

Back from final tests : everything works fine ! Including the balancing board. There is no noticeable difference with or without.
The only (bad) thing we have noticed is that the Line input is quite poor in the low frequency response. Anyone would know something about it?

Those rotary switches for line input gain control are quite fussy. Did you clean them out really well and make sure that you're getting the proper contact with them?

Did you design the balanced output circuit? If you are the sharing type, I'd love to see a schematic of what you did.

Cheers,

T

PS- "Bugeroo" is American cowboy slang for "thing" :grin:

Cleaning the rotary switch or not give the same result.
But it's a "side-car" problem.
My customer doesn't use the Line In and doesn't care so much if it works fine or not. But when he sells the rack (one day) I feel I'll have to make the modules work correctly !...

I didn't design the balance module. There are enough designs that exist and work fine .
I've used this schematics :
http://img130.imageshack.us/my.php?image=x2symmvf7.jpg
I think you already know it. It can be found (more or less simple) in Amek, or SSL or much more gear...
The fact is that I get good measurements results (S/N ratio, THD, Bandpass...) with it and I like to use it when I've got no other issue.

First I wanted to build a real "Studer-like" output balanced module, but the price I was asked for an original transformer and transistor pair was insane and didn't match my customer's money-ability (sorry for my poor English!!)
Generally, I try to be as close to the original as I can, but not this time...

Cheers
Emmanuel

Latest posts

Back