JoeMeek JM27 (SDC) mod-with samples

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigmorris74

GDIY Supporter
Hi gang,

Recently purchased a JoeMeek JM27 SDC. It's a pretty neat single transistor, transformer output circuit. It had room for improvement (very scooped sound), so I looked inside for potential weak links.

It has a ceramic capacitor at the capsule which I changed to the Polystyrene recommended for the MXL 603 mod (they're both 1000pf). And replaced a couple of other ceramic caps with Panasonic metal films. There are a couple of 4.7uf tantanlum caps that I might upgrade with a better brand if I can find them in stock.

Tried on acoustic guitar and compared to samples recorded without the mod, and the difference was pretty dramatic. The low end was rumbling before, and now has tightened up quite a bit, and the mids are much more present than before. Way less scooped.

Made me curious about finding a real nice transformer and see what would happen.

Craig

hi, It's a good idea, really not expensive and it looks to be efficient.
Could you send samples? :green:

A very familiar comparison. I can pick out individual strings in the "after" sample instead of it sounding like one big blur in the "before" sample. Amazing what a little cap change can accomplish. :wink:

WIMA polypros can work wonders too.

Try this: WIMA FKP2-1000/100/2.5 (get them from Mouser in the US)

Very similar sound to the polystyrene to my ears, but more consistent and less susceptible to soldering damage.

Latest posts

Back