advice on removing inner mesh on mics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have some MXL2001's and the way I did it for those was part dremel, part pliers. It seemed like the inner grill on those was soldered on, and only at certain points. Careful and slow, I'd suggest. I guess it depends on the way it's set in there too...

Make sure you want to do this. Again don't believe all the microphone noise on the web.

IMO sometimes it can make the microphone sound worse and make it easier to damage.

Some grills get VERY weak when the layers are removed

[quote author="Gus"]Make sure you want to do this. Again don't believe all the microphone noise on the web.

IMO sometimes it can make the microphone sound worse and make it easier to damage.

Some grills get VERY weak when the layers are removed[/quote]

thats so true. But I was asked to do it for a friend of mine on his octava 319 as he heard one with the inner mesh removed and really liked the sound...

I removed the inner mesh from my MK319's (and did the Dorsey circuit upgrades to them). It actually wasn't soldered in in any of mine. I just bent it into a little roll with needlenose pliers and it dropped out the bottom of the headgrill.

Be aware that the outer mesh on the MK319 is very rigid and will 'ping' if you pluck or tap it. This makes it not so good for lots of things as it will ring sympathetically with some of the source material (certain pitches, etc.).

Scott Dorsey recommends replacing it with a more maleable (sp?) mesh altogether, which will reduce this tendency to ring, but for mine I just gave the headgrill a couple of light coats of paint (flat black) which dampened the mesh's resonance very nicely.

I prefer the sound with the inner mesh removed. It is more 'open', but a bigger improvement came by removing the black resonator discs from the front and back of the capsule (just do one at a time, carefully, and reattach the screws before moving to the other side). Together with the circuit upgrades these mics are now surprisingly useful.

I've used them on picked acoustic guitar, as drum room mics, and on some male vocalists with wonderful results.

JC

Latest posts

Back