Front panel :Engrave/laser before or after anodize/paint?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvas

My local metal workshop who is doing my GSSL boxes does not anodize the aluminium they use for the front panels...so if i decide to go with anodized front, i´m not sure if i have to engrave then anodize or anodize then engrave...i´ll have to take the front panel to another place for the anodization.

also,

Laser engraving or CNC drill engraving? i just have text, nothing fancy

for big filled (not outline) text, the CNC drill engraving works fine? or i´m best leaving the big text as outline?

if i decide i want my panel black or any other color after anodize...which painting method i should look for? in this case, laser engraving will hurt the finish?

of course if i want black finish i should engrave or laser the thing after the painting process...?

Excuse my crappy english

I´m a total newbie in metalworking and want to understand the process...

Anodize (or paint) -> engraving.

Laser engraving is cool, and not that expensive, it works better with anodized panels. :thumb:

i agree with the idea of a metalworking and engraving and construction META...would be sooo nice for this type of questions...

Laser engraving is definitely nice, and lasts forever, but I had a couple of black anodized aluminum panels done that came out very faded. Those were Mid-Atlantic brand, but I've never had issues with Par-Metal panels. Be careful of the material that you choose...

[quote author="Silvas"]i agree with the idea of a metalworking and engraving and construction META...would be sooo nice for this type of questions...[/quote]
Like this one?
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=15136

I like the way a CNC engraved panel looks if it is anodized first and then engraved. The high speed of the spindle (about 8000 RPM) makes a really shinny finish that contrasts well against the anodize.

Latest posts

Back