Some nice metalwork

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewYorkDave

I have to take a moment to brag about my colleagues in our in-house fabrications department.

I gave them this simple drawing for a bulkhead panel for our TV studio, and a few days later they delivered THIS.

Dig that brushed aluminum! It turns out they ordered it specially, even though I had told them plain sheet stock would be just fine. And they matched the font in my drawing exactly, even though I'd also told them that it wouldn't be necessary to do so. Talk about going the extra mile... Then again, with these guys, I shouldn't be surprised.

Man, I wish I could use their services for my personal projects!

By the way, the "backwards" numbering on the camera connectors was deliberate. Long story...

Very nice! I also know the feeling. We had some serious artisans at school, both in the machine shop and glass blowing facility. I once had the machine shop make up a jig with peltier devices on each end for creating a temperature gradient across a flow cell, which they manufactured from a solid aluminum block with a glass top for monitoring the chemical reaction in the cell. They even anodized the aluminum to make it inert to our reaction. Our glass blower was also in a class of his own. The university would contract him out to some of the major east coast companies as well. I once broke a $500 stopcock, which the blower was able to reproduce in about 30 minutes. I think this guy could have blown a glass ship in a bottle with one breath.

For the last 7 years, I've been the machine shop at my jobs, and quality has suffered :wink: .

So now that you have our attention, what's the story with the backwards numbering?

-Chris

Dave,

Maybe those guys do personal projects on their coffee breaks? :green:

Superb work!

Sometimes I ask some of our installation guys to do little personal projects for me on their own time after work hours. I pay cash for the materials and then take them for a nice lunch somewhere for the labor. Everybody's happy!

Peace!

Back