need help with my multimeter and measuring values of caps.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

versuviusx

http://www.esnips.com/doc/773ad9a0-78c2-44a4-803f-4313ee7abbed/multimeter

ok so when i select CAP and try to measure different caps i can't get a solid stable value. if i press REL for release it goes to 0 and then when i meausre i still get random different values. what is going wrong. what am i doing wrong. i thought the multimetere was messed up so i got another one and the same problem occured. so i don't know what i'm doing wrong.
i should just be able to put the probes on a cap and get the same result each time...getting a static value. please help

Have you tried with crocodile clips attached to the probes?
Also in the manual what's the from and it values it can read? Some have only have a very limited range

yeah i kept the probes on contact for over 10 sec. it's annoying.
also what did your jig look like. any pics?
i'd love to find out what is going wrong.

Well can you keep the probes both touching the small legs of a cap without shaking one free for a few seconds - I know I can't
And I find that the probes only work right at the tip of the point

so i got some alligator clips and still random values. this sucks.
now all i can do is get a dedicated cap meter and see what happens.
i took the cap out of circuit and still random values. i don't know what is going on. any help would be great.

Might seem obvious but have you replaced the batteries - I got caught on this once - very weird values - then replaced the batteries

no i haven't replaced the battery. but i will try it. i don't know why that would work as it works fine testing diodes and resistors. but when it comes to caps nothing good.
also would this maybe be a good idea to get?

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-1-2-LCD-Inductor-Capacitor-LC-Meter-2nF-200uF-2mH-20H_W0QQitemZ300098889397QQihZ020QQcategoryZ66991QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Back