SSL Babcock Plasma Bargraph Meter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got that trick pencilled into my manual, I think I got it from Andy D's notes.

-Odd that SSL bargraphs died all the time and Neve V-series bargraphtubes lasted forever (the MPSA42/MPSA92 transistors used to fail C-E short a lot... but the same tubes in the Neve design were like the energiser bunny!)

The SSl ones had to be ground down whether you used Burroughs, Dale, Babcock or Cherry... I'm fairly convinced that's the case, or perhaps I should more accurately say that I was never told otherwise.

I do have a few to sell if anyone wants some... (I HATE working on bargraphs!!!)

Keith

[quote author="mediatechnology"]Does the Neve meter bridge run as hot?[/quote]
Y'know... I'm really not certain.

The last time I ever worked on a Neve V-series was when I'd had just about enough, and delivered two of the wretched things to Pucho's workplace, about 15 months ago.

Pucho would probably be able to tell you. I have an impression of the console being generally hotter than an SSL because of the I/O module heat, but as for the meterbridge I can't say. -I CAN tell you however that a 9000 series meterbridge runs hotter than Beelzebub's bathwater...!

Sheesh!!!

In terms of service access comparison between the two models, the SSL wins, no-contest. The SSL and the Neve both require that you remove the back panel and some ribbon connections. Then the SSL slips out after removing a couple of screws.

On the Neve however, you STILL have to additionally remove the TWO rear panels for the adjoining buckets, so that you can remove the safety ground leads (nut-and-bolted through the inter-bucket profiles). Then you have to remove the front dress panel for all 12 meters in the bucket. then you remove the sub-assembly of all 12 meters. Then you remove the safety-grille. Then you have to desolder the paper-ribbons between the two angle-mounted sub-assemby boards... then you have even more work to do!!!

I tell you, It's a darned good job that Neve made their tubes last more or less forever, because it takes ages to get to them. Even replacing the transistors is a ball-ache. -The SSL may have burned up tubes like nobody's business, but access and modularity for service was always a strong point.

Now if you had a filter card problem on the SSLs, swap-and-work-around was always MUCH more tricky... :evil:

Keith

Latest posts

Back