Need Neve Prism Manual/Schematic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lookn4tone

I scored a rack with a couple of Neve Prism pres and compressors, but don't have the manual or schematic to connect them to tape. This rack uses Edac connectors (not xlr's), which I certainly can trace, but would rather have a schematic or something else to make sure everything is connected right.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve

Hi!
A studio where I work have the same rack.
I remember that there is a edac to xlr patch on the rear side.
I can take a look at it but i think that i will not go there for a while...
If i remember correctly there is a edac for every line path:
1 for mic input
1 for line input
1 for pre/eq line out
1 for exp/comp line in
1 for exp/comp line out

I think that the wiring is the standard for edac balanced connection.
Maybe i'll go there in mid-april. I'll post more information when i can.

Bye,
Nickos

Hi, I have what you need.. but it's a very thick ringbinder full of foldout schematics, and I don't have a scanner! hehehe

This will have 10 eq in/10 eq out, 10 Comp In/10 comp out, 10 gate key in's 10 Mic in's all on four edac's on the Lunchbox rear.

Looking now at the map:

Edac 1 on the rear Left is Mic In's 1-10

Edac 2 Line I/P 1-10

Edac 3 Key Inputs 1-10

Edac 4 Line outs 1-10

I have the user manual for this, as I also have a pair of those Prisms with mic pre/EQ/dynamics. I'll scan them and put them up soon.

The EDACs from left to right: Mic Inputs, Line Inputs, Key Inputs, Line Outputs.

I'll scan the pin connections and post them up soon. A bit busy right now here.

Mach

Thanks a bunch guys for the replies.

Mach, could you please PM me when you have time to post them. Many thanks.

By the way, how do these things sound? Are they good for a specific instrument? I've heard mixed reviews. Thanks again.

Steve

the prism is the same modules that are in the VR series console. IIRC the edac pinout follows that of the VR which would not be the "standard" Elco 56 pinout but a Neve thing. People like to dog on the VR series as it was not designed by rupert Neve and was an AMS/Neve thing. But they are not bad sounding and well aside from some of the extra things you do to make a console work I like the way they sound.I can compare it like this. The VR/prism is like a painter with a big brush, you can't really do detail with a big brush but can get a big brod stroke of paint. so if your looking to really eq a certain frequency then look elsewhere. But they do have a nice phatness to them. The mic pre's are good but not super great. Way better then what most people have in their studios. The comps are awesome.
track on a neve mix on an SSL :thumb:

Looking4tone please PM me your email address. My FTP account is down due to a shortcircuit in a script that it was running. They are working on resolving it but I don't know how long more it takes so it would be wiser if I emailed it to you in pdf.

[quote author="lookn4tone"]By the way, how do these things sound? Are they good for a specific instrument? I've heard mixed reviews. Thanks again. [/quote]

[quote author="pucho812"] People like to dog on the VR series as it was not designed by rupert Neve and was an AMS/Neve thing.[/quote]

There is a very good Turkish proverb for that:

"Believe in half of what you're shown and none of what you're told (as rumours)."

I totally agree with Pucho's comments. You've snatched a fantastic piece of gear.

Its mic pre is better than many others I got to use. Yes there are even better ones out there, but they won't come any cheaper than V-Racks.

It has a fantastic compressor. Use it on acoustic guitar tracking for instance. Put the signal through it and another suitable compressor after it with little touches of gain reduction during tracking, and see what it does to the player's playing. Confidence. I'm yet to get a bad sound out of them, whatever I put through them.

Its EQ is actually very very good too. And I'm not talking about a "very very good" of $200-a-piece equipment league. A little higher than that. Not so surgical right enough, but it's very musical.

If I had the money, and a place to put it in, I'd buy the whole console of it.

Mach

[quote author="mkoz"]
[quote author="pucho812"] People like to dog on the VR series as it was not designed by rupert Neve and was an AMS/Neve thing.[/quote]

There is a very good Turkish proverb for that:

"Believe in half of what you're shown and none of what you're told (as rumours)."

I totally agree with Pucho's comments. You've snatched a fantastic piece of gear.

Mach[/quote]

I'm bound to say something correct once in a while it's the other 99% you have to worry about. :green:

Thanks guys. I appreciate the reviews. I can't wait to check them out. Nice to have another worthy flavor for recording.

Regards,

Steve

Check your email then.

Enjoy the most underrated no=nonsense high-end pro audio gear out there.

Mach

I don't know man, I just clicked on your email address and sent it away with the outlook page opened with it.

Just pull it down from the link I just PM'ed, my FTP is back online.

Cheers,

Mach

Hi guys,

I'm searching for these Schematics too. Could you help me please. :)

I've got 2 in box to settled down.

Thank you.

Mattt

Barish said:
Not the schematics, but the user manual with the EDAC connections is here.

B.

Hi There

I've just bought A Neve Prism Rack and need the pin configuration, can you make the link work again or maybe send me the pin configuration in an email.

Kind Regrads

Jens Lyd

Latest posts

Back