Finished GSSL all works great but strange threshold behavior

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammond

Hi Guys
Just finished my GSSL ( first diy project ) every thing works as it should, only the threshold act strange.
For example: if i turn the threshold pot counter-clockwise it get lowered immediately, but if turn the threshold clockwise it take some seconds to rise.
What i ve to look for?
I've mounted the 47K resistor between the + pot leg and the control pcb.
Anything works ok ( ratio attack release makeup bypass )
I've still to mount the meter bypass led, and the sidechain board from Greg.
Any suggestion?
Please I need Help!

For example: if i turn the threshold pot counter-clockwise it get lowered immediately, but if turn the threshold clockwise it take some seconds to rise.

is it just the meter movement or the audio as well? What VCA's are you using?

I've been having some issues with one of my GSSL sometimes you turn it on and it doesn't do anything at all, the meter needle just sits somewhere near 4dB reduction. A quick power off - and - on resets it :roll: like a reboot :grin:

I don't have mounted the meter yet ( still waiting for it from RS )
It's only the audio, when i turn the threshold clockwise to rise the threshold above the signal the audio takes some seconds to go to a higher gain.

Fully counterclockwise the sound will fade, and as you spin quickly back it take a little while for the sound to recover. The E series console I worked on daily till a few years back did this also :) Hitting the In/out button made for a quicker recovery.
I normally have my threshold at a fraction above clockwise and aim for 2 dB reduction on a mix and about 4 dB on a drumbuss.

When you get the meter it will make much more sense, fully CCW and the GR is off the scale.

Thank you Sintech and martthie_08
So my unit is performing just as it should, i wonder why nobody else noticed this threshold behavior.

3 more questions:
I'm using the 2180 vca so i removed the 68R the 10K (all) and 1M from the audio path vca and also removed the 47R from sidechain vca, this way i don't have to bend the pin 4 on the vca anymore right?
i've seen on martthie_08 site that he suggest to remove the 10K resistor on the side chain, what's the difference? actually i have it soldered in.
Last is it normal to have the negative voltage on the sidechain vca at about -8.5?
Thanks a lot

As long as you do all the mods needed for the 2180, you will have correct operation, I think it's just a few resistor changes.

I then tweaked the value of the 47k to match the second version I built with DBX202 (main)/That5120 (sidechain)

This is completely as expected, I don't see the problem? What you hear is the release time of the compressor...??

Jakob E.

Thank you Jakob

I was too much excited to try out my first diy.
I think when i noticed this behavior the release setting was to Auto,
it should be less noticeable using shorter release times, right?

Latest posts

Back