ideas to replace this circuit, discrete voltage regulator

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12afael

I want to adapt this voltage regulator to work with two 9V batteries and use less electronics components. My first idea was to use a lm317 and a lm337 but it need 1.5V of headroom to work, and a lm7807 need 2 volts. the actual design only need 0.6V to work. Another issue of this design is that if one battery is low the output voltage of the other leg is balanced to have the same absolute value. funny isn´t? :shock:
Probably the best idea is to use a zenerd as voltage regulator.

some one have any ideas? :?

powersupply.gif

greetings
Rafael

Lots of components indeed - where's this circuit coming from ?

FWIW, if you want to keep it discrete here's some more stuff: http://www.4qdtec.com/theory/2TrRegs.html
Do you need all the functionality of the discrete circuit ?

Don't know right away how low you can get but I'd search for low dropout voltage regulators (LDO's) i.s.o. the LM317/337.

Probably the best idea is to use a zenerd as voltage regulator.
What's your current-requirement ?

If the requirment is not that much you could consider using just one regulator (so one voltage drop) and split rails after the regulator.

Bye,

Peter

If the requirment is not that much you could consider using just one regulator (so one voltage drop) and split rails after the regulator.

I put my brain on stand by mode last night and today in the morning I found to the same idea. Using just one 14V regulator and split rails the voltage drop will be the half on each rail. And the voltage on each leg will be the same .

thanx Peter

Rafael

Back