Anyone own a Neumann U67, could you check something for me?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matta

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at purchasing a Neumann U67 which seems to be in pretty good nick, the capsule was cleaned by Neumann and bar a few scratches and dents on the grill is looks A okay.

BUT, and this may be completely normally...

If I hold the mic in my hand and gentle move it backwards and forwards the capsule mount and capsule move EVERY so slightly, I'm talking maybe a 1-2mm of play here, but it isn't mounted rock hard to the base unlike my other condensers I own (which are mostly Chinese ones, which doesn't say much).

It has a completely different mount in the sense it seems to have a rubber like dome structure in which the mount and capsule are set, I assume to act as an internal type shock mount.

If any of you or your studios own one could you check this for more me, does the mount have a tad bit of play (I really do mean a tad, it is EVERY so slight) or is is fixed rigid?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

a 67 eh? Nice one. I've got a U67 but it's one of the very short run of reisues that they did in 1993 or there abouts. I think the capsule mount may be different because when I look through the grill the "stalk" that the capsule is mounted on rises out of a flat surface rather than a dome. The whole thing seems quite rigid to me, though I didn't try driving a nail with it or anything to prove a point :grin: .

Keith has one so I'm sure he be along soon. He's probably been inside his too, I've looked in the body of mine but have not gone near the head. I hope it works out for you, they are stunning mics,

cheers,
Ruairi

hi Matt,

as I own 2 of those, I had a quick look at them in between 2 takes... I'm not sure I understant your problem very well, but on my microphones, the capsule doesn't seems to move when shacking(gently) the microphone

Hope it will help

regards

Thanks Guys,

This one is from the original run, CIRCA 1962. The grill looks like this

U_CAP.gif

The mount moves ever so slightly when lightly swayed back and forth, it is isn't fixed rigid, but was wondering if that was because it is seated in rubber, which would have a bit more play than say a brass mount directly mounted to the head/grill unit.

It is slight and it is not like it is going to fall apart, but really just wanted to know if I should be concerned about it or not.

I very much appreciate you guys looking, any one feel free to comment, the more the merrier :cool:

I hope it works out for you, they are stunning mics

Thanks, I'm pretty sure it will :thumb: I used one for 2 months in Nashville and it is beautiful, a real 'all rounded'.

I just want to check if I need ito have it seen to. I've told the owner and he suggested I ask around.

He checked it out before sending it to me and I doubt it happened in transit as my wife bought it home in person with her while on a business trip.

Thanks again!

Cheers

Matt

Hey Matt,

the mount on mine is more like the U87 on the right. If you haven't already it would probably be worth throwing a post up at Klaus Heyne's or perhaps even shoot a PM to David Satz - he has posted here before I think.

Speaking of wives on business trips mine is in Miami right now! Perhaps she could bring me back a vintage Neumann too :green: I could just tell her that's how it is for all the guys on here....

cheers,
Ruairi

[quote author="ruairioflaherty"]Hey Matt,

If you haven't already it would probably be worth throwing a post up at Klaus Heyne's or perhaps even shoot a PM to David Satz - he has posted here before I think.[/quote]

Ahead of you there :cool: I posted up on Klaus's Forum earlier today and will see what he says in time.

[quote author="ruairioflaherty"]Speaking of wives on business trips mine is in Miami right now! Perhaps she could bring me back a vintage Neumann too :green: I could just tell her that's how it is for all the guys on here....

cheers,
Ruairi[/quote]

Hah hah,

Awesome! Yeah my wife is VERY special, it really is OUR money we are spending on this mic and she sees is as an investment and was very willing to let me spend the cash and as you know... it aint cheap!

She is an absolute star in supporting me in a career path that as we known is rather volatile. She has stuck with me through thick and thin and with the opening of our first commerical studio venture over the next 2 months I'm sure even more hard, but good times ahead.

Now if you will excuse me I've been summoned to house hold chores and other DIY tasks (not the nice ones!) as penance for using her as my 'shipping agent' :?

Cheers

Matt

matta your wife sounds so cool. :thumb: I don't think the u67 does that normally but then again it's been a while since I used one. I would guess that is not normal as I have yet to see a Neumann have any sort of loose capsule. But then again might do that from old age? Of course then again, I was suspecting a bad pot on a 1176 reissue. Which it turned out to be a normal problem with the reissues and not a bad pot...

Hey Matt,

My girl friend is at work, I'm hoping she'll pick me up some 1081's on the way home!

Our 67s here in Nashville are rock steady. Can you see if the rubber that these are mounted in is dry rotting perhaps?? Maybe this is why the capsule was dirty Also, beware of the connector siezing. We had our 47 long body and a 49 become one with they're cable. I'd recomend putting a bit of graphite on the threads every now and then to prevent 'fusion'.

Hows the studio going?

I have a M269c. I have no idea how to take the grill off though. I did get the hole top assembly off. I can't see in there if the capsule is moving, but I don't feel any movement at all on mine. Since I'm mid sessions with it, I'd rather not take the whole mic apart and not be able to put it back together.

Hey Guys,

Thanks again. Will yeah you have a fair few U67's at your place :shock:
I don't plan on leaving the cables plugged in, but good word of caution :thumb:

I'm also waiting for my wife to pick up those 1081, sadly, she won't bite... but I'll settle for the U67 :green:

Twist, beautiful mic those M269C's, the ultimate 'pop' vocal mic, sweeter than the U67 on vocals, at least my experience.

Cheers

Matt

[quote author="matta"]Hey Guys,

Thanks again. Will yeah you have a fair few U67's at your place :shock:
I don't plan on leaving the cables plugged in, but good word of caution :thumb:

[/quote]

It doesn't even happen when they've been plugged in for a long time. Just from regular use. The metel is old and just siezes!

I have one.

If you mean does the shock mount flex, then yes, absolutely. -It's supposed to.

If you mean does it 'rattle' then no. Absolutely NOT!

Not sure from how you phrased it...

Keef

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the input.

It doesn't rattle at all! I'm not I'm phasing it very well I guess but 'flex' would be a better word.

As I shared if I hold the mic in my hand and move it backwards and forward the WHOLE mount with the CAPSULE attached flexes and moves a little, there are no rattles, there is bit of flex/movement you can't really, if that makes sense as I shared it really only budges around 1mm but it not hard and fast rigid in the sense some of my other mics, which don't flex at all.

Cheers

Matt

Hmmm.. mine probably wouldn't move quite that much unless I shook it like I was taking some warm-up swings prior to knocking in a nail... of course at that speed it's such a blur that I wouldn't be able to tell!

Is the motion from the capsule end or from the base end, can you tell?

BTW, I'd never really use my 67 to knock in nails... unless of course I'd misplaced my ELAM-251!

Keith

Back