Re-capping Soundcraft Sapphyre, current ripple?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TornadoTed

I brought a Soundcraft Sapphyre which I intend to fully re-cap.

I have been looking at Panasonic and Rubycon caps. Any thoughts on these?

I am confused by current ripple, caps with exactly the same specs are vastly differnet in price depending on their current ripple.

A 47uf 25v cap with a ripple value of 147mA is £0.107 where the 480mA current ripple version is nearly £0.57 nearly 6 times as much.

The operating life is higher on the lower ripple version but is this at the expense of sound quality?

What is the practical differnece between the versions?

I am totally clueless about this so any input would be welcome.

Here is a link to the caps I was looking at,

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp;jsessionid=QCAIMTKBDNE2PQFIAEXJLTQ?N=411+124174+130075&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=rubycon&Ntx=&_requestid=80461

Also anyone know the alps code numbers for the faders, switches and pots used in the Sapphyre? I contacted Soundcraft but they seemed expensive.

The alps 'K' faders are a fair bit cheaper than what they quoted me and they appear to be a direct replacement.

Higer ripple values are important for PSU applications and the like, where ripple current flows in and out at a pretty high rate. For example, if a PSU can deliver an amp, there will be times in between peaks when all of that amp is coming from the cap reserve. On the peaks, much of that amp will be being pushed back INTO the caps.

For local decoupling applications, this is much less significant.

The more ripple current flows through the cap, the more the cap will heat up and gas out, so the sooner it will typically die.

Much of a simplification, but that's a general idea, anyway.

Keith

Latest posts

Back