noisy *ss b*hringer rack unit..Similar to a sonic maximizer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svart

Dunno what this thing is called but it's similar to a sonic maximizer, same concept really. it produces even order harmonics from a chosen frequency. it also has a bass "tightening" function which seems to be simply a frequency driven compressor. My issue is that using this box really makes a mix sound "clearer" which i know is just effect but it sounds really good but has a side effect that is a super high amount of "hiss" in the extended treble frequencies. this only happens with the effect turned on so i know it's a byproduct of the operation. however here is my question.. who of you uses similar boxes like the BBE, etc? does your box give the same hiss? it sounds good but is somewhat unusable on quiet stuff. Just wondering if other brands have the same issue and if there is anybody who has played with these before, before i start to doctor this thing of course..

sorry for the bad sentence structure as i am typing fast at work...

:guinness:

Hi Svart,

Have been using a BBE 362 (not so much anymore today), but don't recall an obvious noisy problem. The nature of these beasts is of course to accentuate hi-freq stuff so added noise could be understandable to some extend.

* Are you using very large amounts of processing ?
* Is it really 'noise' ? (like it still being present without signal ?
* Or is the 'hiss' coming from higher order distortion products ?

FWIW:
I don't know how the Beh. does it, but the BBE doesn't distort like the various harmonics-generators. The BBE-process uses selective (& I thought adaptive) phase shifting - which might be called distortion as well...- but as I understood it no generation of harmonics.

Bye,

Peter

Is it an Ultrafex (1U)? (or possibly Tube Ultrafex (2U) which is identical but for a valve output stage).

http://www.dv247.com/invt/6222

A certain amount of fizzing at the top end can be expected at extreme settings if your HFs are too loud in the mix pre-exciter. Try EQing your top end down a bit pre-Ultrafex and have a compressor (multiband if available) post-Ultrafex, all in your master inserts chain.

Phil

Phil....Ferfuxake.... Are you encouraging people to put B*ringer products in their signal chain? tsk tsk. And you an Olympic bod....for shame. :green:

i believe it's an ultrafex pro. it does have a lot of fizz on the top end when using it. it truly does make the audio stand out a bit but the fuzzy hiss is quite loud when i use it. it has a "noise reduction" section that does kill the hiss but it almost totally negates the excitation and even mushes the upper mids too.. makes it sound dull but with nice highs.. guess you can't have one thing without the other using these boxes eh? I shouldn't have compared it to a sonic maximizer, i just assumed they were the same thing.. maybe i should try that instead?

I vote for banning from this forum anyone who use the B word.
What do you think?
:green: :green: :green:

chrissugar

P.S. It is funny that sometimes I realize that the Neutrik connectors and knobs I use in my projects costs more than the price of a complete B product. :shock:

well i'll admit to owning a few B products if I get grandfathered when the B*hringer gestapo come!!

:green:

i'll have to admit the ideas are good although the actual product is cheapo.. but hey, it was free.

I have a friend who has some B gear,one of them beeing that T1950 eight channel tube thing. Last year when I was at his studio I asked him if he would sell it for 100$ [ I made a calculus in my head and thought that if I disasemble it the 8 tubes, 8 bakelite type knobs and the 8 China VU meters worth 100$].
He never used it, but because I asked if he would sell it he said no, and tried to use it. :green: He thought that probably there is some hidden trick and that is why I want it. :green:
He still has that shit and still hopes that he will find the trick. :green: :green: :green:

chrissugar

I shouldn't have compared it to a sonic maximizer, i just assumed they were the same thing..

No problem here ! :wink:

maybe i should try that instead?

Do you have a chance to try a BBE before buying ? Who knows it might work for your application. What I've heard so far when trying such units is that while the BBE can definitely sound 'sharp' or 'processed' when used too much, it's still smoother than adding harmonics.

I have the 362 and use it less or at least in lesser amounts and most of the time even not at all. Using a 411 for the elec bass rig and there it's on all the time for adding the in your face thing.

Bye,

Peter

Back