Working with Tape Heads

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Larrchild"]Dave notes:
IRC, before digital recording really took off, one of the hot ideas was to record a high frequency, FM carrier on the tape and (of course) demodulate on playback. I thought it was a good idea when I read about it, but didn't get the chance to hear a demo first-hand

Sure you have.

VHS HiFi.

used an fm modulated carrier on tape.[/quote]
Instrumentation recorders used the same technique to obtain a response down to dc.

Ian

Adam;
Paul described everything thoroughly. Follow his instructions and you will get state of the art results.

I think I am pretty much ready to start working with the heads as soon as I finish sorting out the audio/reverb portions of the unit. These are the real weak point in this thing. I would just replace the audio sections and call it good with the head section but most of it is all on one big board that I can not really work around. So its all going, keep the transport and reverb tank and start with nothing.

-You really want to upgrade an existing amp+heads set, NOT work totally from scratch. Even if you will replace all the electronics, note all the signal levels and impedances before you trash it.

Already did that, the schematic is pretty well labeled already, and even correct on its voltages, currents and AC levels. But I went through and filled in all the missing pieces when I was starting out to figure out what is going on where.

-You can find my playback amp (tubes again Wink) here:

I am probably going to stay away from tubes for this since I have 4 playback heads and might go stereo, but who knows, maybe I will stick to mono and throw in some tubes. Its a good bit of info either way.

What ever happened with your hard disk recorder? I was following that thread fairly closely before my hiatus from this forum, seems to have withered away.

-Paul described everything thoroughly. Follow his instructions and you will get state of the art results.

Thats pretty much the plan, far more practical then everything else I have read so far. Hopefully Next week I will be able to get the audio and reverb sections taken care of, then I will probably have a pile of questions when I start experimenting with the heads.

Think I might just use some of these 1731s I have sitting about for the input amps, makes things quick and easy and good.

thanks,
adam

[quote author="adamasd"]What ever happened with your hard disk recorder? I was following that thread fairly closely before my hiatus from this forum, seems to have withered away.[/quote]
No, not quite. I have all the boards here and a box also. When I don't have to work 12-14 hour days anymore, I may have time to complete it...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Latest posts

Back