G9 vs JLM Baby animal - blind test (audio samples)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purusha

Hello, this may be interesting for those who are thinking to DIY a G9 or a Baby animal preamp soon.

I was recording vocals today for a band I am producing at the moment and I just had both preamps at my
hand so I made a quick shoot out. G9 has OEPs inside and baby animal has all JLM iron with 99V opamp.

Here is the RAR file with the vocal samples. Can you guess which one is which?

Clip B has more tube sound so I guess B is the G9.

BTW, both sounds good.

Thanks for the effort Purusha :cool:

laiben

Hmm, on crappy laptop speakers I can't tell the difference really. Both sound great. Makes me wonder if it's really worth the effort of me building a G9, but I'm doing it anyway. :razz: :razz:

Matt

On my laptop, it sounds to me like A is a little clearer and B is a little compressed or slightly saturated if you will. Having never heard either of these pres and not knowing what settings you are using, I have to go with what Laiben said. :green:

To fucanay: This is just a guess, but I'm under the impression there would be more of a difference once tracks are stacked, and also using different instruments etc. Also, better speakers would matter. I would listen to this on the studio speakers, but I'm lazy :guinness:

At any rate, I'm close to being finished on my G9 and waiting on Purusha's group buy case. BTW, those 10uf 600v poly caps I told you I bought from Antique Electronics for the G9 are huge. You might want to try to find something smaller.

On a completely unrelated note, I picked up the Steven Slater Drums Gog's and whipped up a quick little song last night that really kicks arse. These Gog sounds are pretty darn usable actually. Unfortunately, I don't find a lot of versatility with them as I tend to write some pretty off-the-wall stuff, but I think Steven is going to add some more sounds soon, and hopefully he will somewhat break out of the heavy metal clone mentality. That's not a put-down, as he is phenomenal in that realm (especially compared to my lame arse). It is just that some people like to write in many different directions and $209 is a lot to pay :sam:

I don't know wich is which..but I think that A sounds better with this voice since it doesn't scope out as much low mid end as B. Guessing the G9 is B.

It would be great with more a Tube driven G9 track..I'm so curious how the G9 OEP reacts and sounds when you distort vocals and such through it by driving the Tubes harder...A clip when you are pulling the ssrive knob up and down would be great :razz: ..please :grin: ?

B is the G9, I'm pretty certain of it :razz:

Both sounds really good, but if you got a G9, you should drive the tubes a little harder for a fatter sound IMO.

Should I tell you which is which?

OK, maybe in the evening. :green:

G9 had input at around 11 o'clock so I guess I could run it hotter.

Both sound great. Makes me wonder if it's really worth the effort of me building a G9, but I'm doing it anyway. :razz: :razz:

This was my first impression too so I decided not to build a G9 as JLM BA already sounds
awesome. 1:4 JLM iron + 99V produces a natural deeser effect which makes my life much easier :wink:

Disclaimer: I am listening at work with a crappy soundcard and yellow sony walkman headphones from the 80's that somehow still work.

A is slightly louder so at first I was tricked into thinking I liked A better, but after some more listening, I like B better.

My guess.

A = BA
B = G9

Both sound really great, and I think A might be better on some things, but B really worked for this singer IMO. I am currently building a G9 (with one of your cases). I won't be disappointed either way.

Also, what mic are you using? Converters? Board? Just curious...

BTW: I have not heard either of these pres before. I love samples like this. Thanks Purusha.

[quote author="flaheu"]In my humble opinion :

A G9 : a little compressed and "larger than life" quite colored
B BA : very precise, less "fat"
:wink:[/quote]

Your favorite?

[quote author="Purusha"][quote author="rodabod"]I'd guess:

A = G9
B = BA[/quote]

Why do you think so? :grin:[/quote]

I found A slightly unclear, and I found B's low-end was less solid and sounded a little more "rock". Having never heard either preamps myself, it's hard to guess though!

Contrary to my guess, I'd expect the OEPs to have a little less low-end and have more colour so....

Both versions of G9 which I have show a slight lowend rolloff. This behaviour correlates good with B. But I never expierienced this compression effect in the higher midrange which B shows. In the very high frequencies B is again clearer for me which also is my impression with my G9s compared to most of my other preamps.
I´d guess that B ist the G9. But I have no Idea how a BA sounds so my guess is just lottery and I wouldn´t wonder if I´m wrong.

just had a short listen, thanks for putting this up, I prefer A which handles the dynamics of the singer better, though it might be a tiny bit louder as well. Oh well, I'll take no guesses...

curious to find out which is which!

Latest posts

Back