G9 vs JLM Baby animal - blind test (audio samples)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used my 2 BA's last night on kick and lead vocals. Both BA's are with the 99V and JLM in/out transformers. The kick was an Audix D6 -> BA -> AH GL2200 line in -> PA system. The vocal was Audix OM5 -> BA -> AH GL2200 with a DBX 165A on the insert. I was very happy with the sound I was getting. The kick is absolutely HUGE! The vocals (both male and female) were very smooth and warm sounding and I had a very easy time getting them to sit in the mix. I still haven't found anything I don't like these on.

Cheers,
Zach

[quote author="Purusha"]To originalmusician:

I can't hear what you are hearing. :roll:

Maybe you should describe what you hear.[/quote]

Sorry for being vague Purusha. I mean the harmonic coming off of the second "you."

Sorry for being vague Purusha. I mean the harmonic coming off of the second "you."

Well, this doesn't bother me much, but I guess it's something you get with tube preamps and
compressors. I also noticed my LA-2A adds this kind of artifacts sometimes but it all sounds just fine in the mix.

did these have jlm output iron? i dont have output iron on any of my 4 BA's (2 OEP/2520 and 2 JLM/99v) and im wondering if it makes a huge difference.

comments?

thanks for the shootout by the way!!

[quote author="Purusha"]

Well, this doesn't bother me much, but I guess it's something you get with tube preamps and
compressors. I also noticed my LA-2A adds this kind of artifacts sometimes but it all sounds just fine in the mix.[/quote]

Hi Purusha:

That artifact and a few other things kind of seemed like a give-away on the comparison. Since my ears aren't so good anymore (loud stages of youth), I thought maybe I wasn't hearing this correctly and perhaps that's why so many people chose the other pre... But it appears I can still kind of hear afterall. In 15 years, the technology will exist to grow new hair cells in the inner ear that fully connect neurologically to the brain. Then I'm going back on the road and blowing off some steam. In the meantime, I'm going to try to talk the kid down the street into checking my mixdowns. Nah, forget that idea, he'll just want to play my drumset :green:

Latest posts

Back