Supergreen Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh

There is no Supergreen Meta yet, and I have parts questions.

Attempting to locate my first batch of parts without part #'s, I headed over to Mouser and gave it a go. Well, I didn't get very far at all. The parts list at
http://www.akustische-kunst.org/audio/supergreen.html
is
http://www.akustische-kunst.org/audio/supergreen/supergreen_instructions.pdf

starting with the WIMA Caps. I feel I have an understanding of WIMA caps now (maybe not?). Basically you have a sub-category for the caps such as FKP2, MKP2, etc...
ours are all MKP4's as stated on the BOM. The code is as follows: type/capacitance/voltage/lead spacing

Mouser doesn't have the 2n2 or 3n3 in a MKP4. So scratch those
the 10 micro farad comes in an MKP4, but has a lead spacing of 10, instead of 37.5mm. I could bend the leads, sure but the tolerance is +- 10%. No dice here either.
Lastly, the 100n comes in a 5mm lead spacing and is non-stock anyway.

So, I bequeath you o fellows of mine. Am I reading this spec correctly? If so, where can I locate these caps in the USA (preferably).
From my understanding the 4 WIMA caps should read:

-MKP4/0.0022/63/7.5
-MKP4/0.0033/63/7.5
-MKP4/10/63/37.5
-MKP4/0.1/63/7.5

with the 63 Volts being the least important parameter.

As I work my way through this list, I will keep track of part numbers and vendors so I can share this document with everyone when I'm finished.

Thank you and goodnight.

I got a BOM for the supergreen listing parts for mouser and digikey almost done.

http://www.tawelectronics.com/
carry's wimas and has a min order of like $10. Easy to get to with a project like the super green.
Some of the parts in the instructions are not available and have been replaced with the mpk10 line.

[quote author="Ptownkid"]no sir, there wasn't enough interest.[/quote]

Maybe because was not open yet the Meta thread. i think most of us would prefer to get the hole pack from one seller. At least me.

A question of op-amps. If want to try any diferent opamps, would must replace the 4 ones ,or just the Single 5534an?

Lets try and keep the thread lean , perhaps a few who had already built the Supergreens will chime in [ Salsa ? or Olaffmatt , keep in mind we're not asking you to do anything so much as some opinions and thanks guys for all your work so far ]

And Don't forget there is allready allot of great info on Olafmatts site

http://www.akustische-kunst.org/audio/

but there is a good month yet at least til they get here

It makes sense that i can look into a few of the parts and distribute with the boards [ like the solen caps maybe ] but i don't want to get stuck
with more parts than i need , so .............

I would think for opamps that the first one the signal sees [ or that does the most gain ] would be the best one to try changing with likely diminishing returns as the signal gets closer to line level .

regards Greg

I would think for opamps that the first one the signal sees [ or that does the most gain ] would be the best one to try changing with likely diminishing returns as the signal gets closer to line level .

I think this issue interesting, and hope come up opinions from other projects,regarding not only specs but also sample comparisons and subjective audiofile opinions from other DIY projects.
I think that have a few candidates for op-amps to can combine would give a wider range of use for the preamp itself.

Yeah, I really like this design and am working on a layout of the board. Had a hard time finding the 2SC3329 NPN transistors, though. Finally found some at Borbely Audio at something like 2.30 euro. Neither Mouser nor Digikey has any. I haven't ordered parts yet (it's about 3rd in the que right now) but all the other parts are no problem to find. I just substituted Solen poly caps for the Wimas and made allowances in the board layout for the larger Solens.

Sometimes, opamps receiving and driving higher levels can have profound effects on the sound quality, especially if they lack headroom and/or have slow(er) slew rates. I plan on designing the pre layout so I can do some opamp-swapping, and I'm planning on using the highest supply voltages the opamps can tolerate. The higher-fidelity opamps like the 5534 and the OPA opamps like a +/- 20-24V supply rails. They sound compressed and lackluster at lower voltages, to my ear.

I've been considering using the Green/Supergreen design modified to be a line level buffer/amplifier for a line level console I'm designing. I want to take one of the gain stages out and put some resistors at the front end to have a -20 to +10 dB line amp. I'm going to post a new thread about this when I get around to it, but it might be interesting. Or impossible, I haven't decided which yet...

it appears that you can get the 2SC3329 from this smaller supplier in florida

http://www.acme-sales.net/portal.php?p_id=2SC3329

Edit: Canadian Supplier! Cheap!!
http://www.tiptopelectronics.com/

if anyone can suggest a more reputable source in north america I'd love to hear it!

Hey Tip Top is in my city , guess i'll stock up for the grp

, O.k. scratch that , they haven't had any for years and the
apparent NTE 90 replacement number has been discontinued

So starts the search !

Would be nice to can get the hole package from one guy. Travelelectronics told me 75$-85$ only of shiping through UPS to Spain, :shock:
I have just asked them if they would ship USPS though.

The problem I see is that shiping from diferent stores would increase the cost more than the components package itself, so I still think that if anyone have more access there in USA to get all the parts, could win some money selling the whole package to the ones who are outside USA.
Just my thoughts.

An one question, I´m searching for a box, what dimensions will have the boards?

Kasper was working on a DigiKey BOM , if that gets done i will consider
making a few kits , but if there wasen't enough interest for ptown
how many people want a kit ?

Shall we continue this discussion in the Black market thread ?

regards Greg

Shall we continue this discussion in the Black market thread ?

I think is better to not overload the Meta with purchasing issues.
I would be interested on the kit, or at least on Wimas+those transistors so dificult to find.

I have found the Hammond boxed very pretty to a portable Supergreen, can you tell me de size of the boards please?

For the 2SC3329

Digikey has suggested this part as a replacment

2N4410

Saying it has a higher current rating , anybody know better ?

tia regards Greg

btw i can get Solen 10uf caps for about 2.50 each don't know if anyone is interested ,

BOM means BillOfMaterials , in other words parts list

What means Bom?

How about the guy who made the Supergreen project, was so long ago? or where did him get the parts? Would be easier for all get them from where he got them, and maybe send the dificult parts to find with the pcb, I think.

All my posts in this thread are erased because I don´t want to support this project which has been hijacked. The originator has withdrawn it for some (very good and understandable) reason and I respect his decision.

[quote author="lagoausente"]Can you give an aprox size of the PCB? I need it to finding the correct portable box. :roll:[/quote]
The pcb's I got from Olaf measure 243 x 75 mm. Take this as aprox./min. size cause the new batch may differ a little.

Latest posts

Back