Varation on the Schoeps mic schematic front end?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Marik"]

For some reason you still don't get an idea that sometimes certain type of distortion in fact in some situations is desirable.
[/quote]

Really? :green:
I understood it well in 1970'th developing guitar effects and analog synthesizers. I played a lot with distortions to understand differences between desirable and nasty distortions.

Once I posted a track on Gearslutz, recorded with Schoeps circuit. IIRC, you could not detect distortions under the question, so what is the point?

Do you understand spectral differences between vocal and that piano playing mezzo-piano you've recorded? :cool:

[quote author="burdij"]The circuit shown here is used by two popular brands of LDCs for their input stage. It uses only one 1G resistor and no coupling caps. The capsule sees a total bias of about 72 volts. The output is a source/drain follower circuit but does not use emitter followers with emitters pulled up to the phantom, the source being coupled to one output pin with a cap and the drain through a cap to the other output pin.

ldc_input_circuit.gif
[/quote]

What that 100M is for?

[quote author="burdij"]
What that 100M is for?

Actually, I missed a capacitor in the schematic. I have corrected it. Lot's of filtering of the voltage multiplier, I assume.[/quote]

Now it looks much better! (lower voltage peak on the gate when switched on)

[quote author="Wavebourn"]

Really? :green:
I understood it well in 1970'th developing guitar effects and analog synthesizers. I played a lot with distortions to understand differences between desirable and nasty distortions.
[/quote]

Good for you!

Do you understand spectral differences between vocal and that piano playing mezzo-piano you've recorded? :cool:

I was very specific and wrote "certain situations". What it has to do with your voice recording?

BTW, Three tenors were recorded with Schoeps. I don't remember any complains about nasty distortions.

[quote author="Marik"]BTW, Three tenors were recorded with Schoeps. I don't remember any complains about nasty distortions.[/quote]
yeah.

...not worh mentioning!

Amateurs!

:green:

Keef

[quote author="Marik"][quote author="Wavebourn"]

Do you understand spectral differences between vocal and that piano playing mezzo-piano you've recorded? :cool:[/quote]

I was very specific and wrote "certain situations". What it has to do with your voice recording?

[/quote]

It could be used for voice as well (and for piano playing fortissimo!) if properly designed.

BTW, Three tenors were recorded with Schoeps. I don't remember any complains about nasty distortions.

The devil is in details. Unfortunately MXL uses it for mics made to be connected to the typical mic amplifier and be powered from phantom 48V through 6K81 resistors. The current available from 6K81 resistors is not enough for such operations.

[quote author="Wavebourn"]
The devil is in details. Unfortunately MXL uses it for mics made to be connected to the typical mic amplifier and be powered from phantom 48V through 6K81 resistors. The current available from 6K81 resistors is not enough for such operations.[/quote]

So what do you think they used for Collet series? Anything different from 48V phantom and 6K81 resistors?:shock:

[quote author="Marik"][quote author="Wavebourn"]
The devil is in details. Unfortunately MXL uses it for mics made to be connected to the typical mic amplifier and be powered from phantom 48V through 6K81 resistors. The current available from 6K81 resistors is not enough for such operations.[/quote]

So what do you think they used for Collet series? Anything different from 48V phantom and 6K81 resistors?:shock:[/quote]

Yes, they used many options to power their microphones. Sometimes manufacturers prefer to shrink nomenclature and use the same PCBs for different brands of their production to reduce costs. Correspondingly, end results will be different. However, all of them will be much cheaper in manufacturing than other mics that contain expensive transformers, it is good for competition, but no doubt engineers who designed such mics were well aware of their limitations. Especially, when your position on the market is already well established and consumers will swallow any sh*t with your brand name on it, and when you are one among few manufacturers of condenser mics (there were no Chinese capsules then, right?).

Speaking of modern applications of Shoep's toy...
You may take a dynamic capsule from one well known brand of microphones used to record the most popular singer in the world, mix it with a transformer from some ribbon mic used to record another great singer, put it all in a golden body then say that the mic is great to record snares, nothing more. ;)

Chinese comrades are innocent. They manufacture what was ordered. Ordered were many parties of rough prototypes that should be corrected as soon as the first one was tested...

Latest posts

Back