[DESIGN] A general-purpose 600-ohm balanced attenuator

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alexidoia said:
here we go:
att.gif

Indeed, it makes more sense. I have also the same values than yours for the first switch of your schematics. The only thing is a resistor of the shunt (-10db), yours is 280, while according to my calculations, it should be 76.22. Is this an error ?
When you have time....
Thanks a lot.
Alex

This attenuator can be used for the entry of a Fairchild 660?

Hello everyone, I hope this thread is not dead because I have found it very informative, as are all the others.......... but I was wondering why is a balanced bridged t design better than an h pad?  Sorry, still learning.  Thanks.  -George

Look at this page:
http://www.giangrandi.ch/electronics/attenuators/attenuators.shtml

O.gif
= balanced
PI.gif

H.gif
= balanced
T.gif

You'll notice that
Tbar.gif
("unbalanced bridged T") has only 2 variable resistors [see R2 and R4 in the equation below],
while
PI.gif
and
T.gif
both have R1 R2 and R3 variable.

Ok thanks!  I have another question then.... what would be the benefit to using each type?  What applications would be best for each?  Thats what i find hard to find out sometimes.  Why you would do certain things in certain applications. 

Hi,

First off, I want to say thanks to NYC Dave for putting this schematic together.  It is EXACTLY what I need to pad the output of my Hamptones.

I would like to echo the call someone made a while back for someone who has completed this to post some pictures.  This is my first time building from a schematic and I feel rather lost among all of the possible ways to wire this up.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can contribute photos or some ideas for how to do the point-to-point efficiently.

-Peterson Goodwyn

The drawings for this attenuator are gone, can someone please repost them? Thank you!

NewYorkDave said:
There seems to be a lot of call for something like this. Build a couple of these in small metal BUD-boxes with XLR or 1/4" TRS connectors and keep 'em handy.
37kB GIF

Hi NYDave, any chance you still have that file in your archives?
unfortunately the link is not working anymore and this exactly what I need,

thanks

Latest posts

Back