Headphone outputs to line level inputs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor-TK

I know this is done fairly often, but are there any downsides to this method?

I just got a free Onkyo receiver that doesn't have subwoofer outputs and my sub only accepts line level in. I can take signal from the tape outs, but that doesn't track with the volume control. My only option for a signal that tracks with the master volume is the headphone out. I suppose that I can built a small resistor network to pull line level signal off the speaker outs, but it would be easier to use the headphone out if there aren't any downsides.

Any opinions? I can't find any documentation for the receiver, so I'm not sure what the output impedance of the phones-out is. My line level inputs are 10K if I recall correctly. I would just try it, but I don't want to get comfortable with the setup only to fry the headphone amp later.

Thanks,
Chris

Should be fine in my opinion as long as you set the levels correctly.

Good heaphone amps can obviously drive low impedance loads and with decent signal level, so give it a go.

It should work fine and the headphone amp won't be bothered by such a light load. The only danger is of the subwoofer amp's input being overdriven, but it's easy enough to add an attenuator if needed.

Latest posts

Back