Anyone know what these Valve / Tubes are ??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kid Squid

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone had any info on these valves, as i've no idea what they are.

http://usera.imagecave.com/KidSquid/RCA8-52Valve.JPG

This is marked as RCA , Made in U.S.A., 8 - 52.

http://usera.imagecave.com/KidSquid/RCA9-09Valve2.JPG

This is marked as RCA , Made In U.S.A., 9 - 09.

Any help is apreciated :thumb:

Steve[/url]

Look for some faint markings on the glass somewhere - perhaps on the top.

The first one looks like a rectifier - perhaps a 5R4G or 5U4G? The second could be a 6V6GT.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Don't hold me to this, but isn't a 52 an old type triode like a 45? They predate the current numbering system I think. Maybe it's one of those.

:thumb:

I love a good audio mystery.

Hello Chaps,

Right, I've checked the glass envelopes, and i can't make out any markings at all.

Seth, if this can be of help, the guy who gave them to me, said they'd come from an 1930's ??? Hammond Organ amp.

Steve :thumb:

I looked around a bit more - there is a type 52 but it's a tetrode, not a triode.

:guinness: :sam:

[quote author="jrmintz"]Don't hold me to this, but isn't a 52 an old type triode like a 45?[/quote]
Are you talking about the VT-52? But 8 - 52 is a date code - not a tube type...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Steve,

I'm sure Mikkel is probably correct, and I'm certainly no expert. I imagine CJ or PRR will look at it and know what it is from the structure.

[quote author="jrmintz"]Steve,

I'm sure Mikkel is probably correct, and I'm certainly no expert. I imagine CJ or PRR will look at it and know what it is from the structure.[/quote]
The only problem being that the second one has graphite coating on the inside, so you can't see the structure...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

> I imagine CJ or PRR will look at it and know what it is from the structure.

MCS said it all, nothing to add, no idea why this thread isn't dead.

Top one is one of the standard rectifiers. No good way to know which one without a reference museum. No matter, because 90% of US rectifiers have the same pinout and filament voltage; anyway a clean new-old rectifier like this is cheap.

The other we can not see inside, but vast numbers of 6V6 were made that way. A few other tubes were: feed it 6V on the heater and check the current. 6V6 is 0.45A, most smaller tubes are 0.3A. If it is much less, it is something like 50C5, an AC/DC radio output pentode, uninteresting. And whatever it is, it isn't worth a lot, especially without markings.

The base numbers ARE date-codes. They are probably year and week. 08 is Feb/March, 52 is December. Not decade, so we don't know if these are 1930s or 1940s.

The type 52 tube is not an octal base.

Those silk screened numbers really rub off easily. Age, heat, people yanking them in and out of the chassis...
Be careful of that on vintage tubes, try not to touch the labeling.
Could damage the resale if they don't see the little guy playing the bugle.

Hard to tell what those tubes are. Look closely on the top of the tube, as this is where many tubes were stamped.
cj

Latest posts

Back