best software for PCB editing and layouts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="versuviusx"]hi i'm looking for everyones opinion on what they use or think is the best program for making PCB layouts, editing, etc.[/quote]
I use Kicad:

http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/index.html

It is free and runs on Linux, the PC and Mac.

Ian

:green: Express PCB combined with Express Schematic is free and easy. I've just started using it and it works well. Yeah .... you have to draw some of your own components but that's no big deal. It behaves well. Get the "print to PDF" software off the net .....

Eagle Lite has a huge library of components. It's free .... and the autoroute DOES work ..... even though the routing is often insane. It needs some tweaking regarding snap tolerances and some other options to behave sensibly though.

Downoad them both and try them out. :green:

regardless of package you decide to use, expect a pretty steep learning curve between "confused user" and "jedi" status. :)

It's worth mentioning that the tutorials for Eagle are very very VERY good, and that once you know how to use the ULP files to create packages, you can create new library devices quickly and easily.

/R

I always preferred a paper and a pencil, but now since I've decided my first profession turned into hobby to turn into business I need some software that produces files accepted by manufacturers.
What files are most widely accepted, and which software may produce them?

all pcb houses will accept gertbers, all pcb software can generate gerber files.

some houses will accept Eagle BRD files... very convenient :)

I use Olimex out in Bulgaria - they'll take the brd file and make the boards as you've designed them, no problems with compatability.

very very very nice ... very very very easy :)

Rochey, how costly are prototypes in Bulgaria?
I miss our laboratory in Tomsk when I could give my rough sketches on paper to ladies who made state of the art photo-shablons (what is the proper English term?) for thick skin hybrid ICs (again, I do not know the English term, but there were such PCBs on a ceramic pad, predecessors of modern SMD rugs).

I have a lot to learn, modern technology is very different from what I got used to...

olimex are stupidly cheap but only do up to 2 layers...

www.olimex.com

PCB PROTO PANEL DSS - $33,00 USD
DOUBLE SIDE EURO FORMAT PCB 160 mm x 100 mm (6.3" x 3.9")

I've had 2 lots of boards done with them so far - and they've done great work every time. I think a few other people here use them as well.

/R

I've been enjoying FreePCB, an open-source program for Winduds. It's reasonably intuitive and costs nothing. It won't do autorouting but then I don't really trust autorouting anyway.

Their parts library is frustrating; I always wind up using my own footprints instead. I've put together a small but useful library; if any other FreePCB users out there want it I'd be glad to share.

Peace,
Paul

Gotta put in a word for Protel Autotrax. It used to cost a bit, but when Protel did its windows upgrades, they made Autotrax a freebee (interestingly the new pay for Protels are 100 times the size but run no faster on the high specced machines they require!) Autotrax on a dosbox still goes faster than I can think, so it is entirely adequate for the job. Most boardhouses in my hemisphere accept Protel *.pcb files without the requirement to render them down to Gerbers.
M

I use altium designer. maybe the best for pcb design and some simulations.

Rochey, I'm from Bulgaria and I make my pcbs here:
http://www.selectrapcb.com/

Sorry but the site is only in bulgarian

They make me these boards:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Naudio/X413/doa.jpg
(the left one - 990c)

i use altium designer for all my work ,
it can be way over kill for small projects , and the learning curve
is really high ,

as they say , it did design the electronics for the mars rover :).

some pcb plants offer file conversions for you for 50$ thats the way to go
simply lets them do their job and you dont have to worry about
gerber files and pointless stuff.

pcbexpress/ sunstone / pcbpro.com (same company)
will do this , they are more expesive i find , but have a great option
for 'design review' they will calll you and tell you if something is wrong.

i think they also provide free software to do this .

when i was first starting i um some how :evil: got all the software from
every pcb layout company and tried them all ,

i ended up with protel (altium designer)
but....

in all honesty i could of designed the la2a pcb using 'easytrax'
i dont use auto routing or schematic processing , and every thing is done
by mind and hand.
hell i dont even use 'nets' for my connections.

a computer will not negotiate aesthetics.
and often it is these aesthetics that form a more accurate
and clean design .

'neatness promotes accuracy'
(to quote a hi-rank member)

pcb design for analouge equipment can be a trial and error process.
tube and hi voltage designs are another issue ,

i would reccomend the most basic software ,
design something simple with it from start to finish ,
then run a proto type with pcb express. etc.
or home etch etc.

then you will learn what 'more' you need from a design program ,
even though i use one of the more advanced programs to design ,
i only use three buttons and a mouse ,

sometimes i feel with altium designer that im bringing a gun to a knife
fight. :)

hope this helps ,
g

I suggest that you take a look at 'Sprint-Layout' at www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html

It's very easy to use and costs $50 US and worth every $$

I also use sprint layout. Really easy to use and it exports HPGL files to my DIY router. Gerbers too of course.

/Anders

When I first started I was using lab center proteus.  it's nice.
Then as work progressed and I switched job titles and companies, got into altium designer. It's super expensive and has a high learning curve. What's nice about it, is that it does a marriage with solid works so you can have a completely finished looking product in the computer before you make one.  so aside from doing layouts you can do all the mechanical as well.  I am no longer there and those licenses are too rich for my blood at the moment.

Currently I am learning kicad. It's free and works on just about any platform mac, windows, and lynux. it's also open source which  i like the thought of.  I still have labcenter for things but kicad is working wonders for me.

Back