Help me decide which PCB holder to get ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluzzi

Hahaha, it's the second picture you posted. Might have come up under Cooper tools on digikey, which is Weller's parent comapny, but if you look at the pic, the vise says Weller on the side.

Got it now! Thanks.

The Panavise is $38 CDN more than the Cooper though so I may go for Panavise and be done with. It seems heavier and thus more stable, but then again its just a jpg.

Do you have the Cooper one?

jim

Here's another question, (really never done this before so it s probably silly)

When populating the parts. Lets say I have all my resistors in. Do I flip the board over to solder? This seems logical but don't I need to have something to stop the resistors to falling prey to our friend "gravity"?

Cardboard? What do you guys do?

Thanks.

jim

I have the panavise myself, got it off ebay once upon a time. Except I don't have the extra base that holds the iron and solder spool (need to add that).

I rotate the head and adjust the board angle to solder it. I don't flip it etc.. I try to keep the legs as straight as possible because it makes it a dream to remove if I toss in the wrong part etc..

i will say that the weller looks like it may work allot better in use, except for the holders that I don't have with mine. Overall the panavise will be more usefull because it's able to be changed to another jaw type and you can get longer bars for longer boards.. I was able to place the sumthing board across my longer bar..

[quote author="Bluzzi"]Cardboard? What do you guys do?[/quote]

1. bending both legs of the part to each site so that the part will not fall down when flipping the board.

2. buy a professionel version with foam at one side. this will hold the parts to the board.
Looks DIYable
42348702.jpg

[quote author="madriaanse"]I like that professional holder with foam idea! Who sells that? (does the foam melt?)[/quote]

I found some of these with google... I think its better if you try a search in your language to find local shop.
I don't have this one myself. I have the weller. So I don't know if the foam melts. But the foam is at the component side - and if your components are that hot that they can melt down the foam you should use a soldering iron and not a Bunsen burner :green:

http://www.vib-systems.ch/divprod/elektronikwerkzeuge/bestueckungsrahmen.php

http://www.hinkel-elektronik.de/shop/2090.html 4x Eurocard = 75€

http://www.mercateo.com/c/283-H3070/Bestueckungsrahmen.html

Yeah it looks like something I could put together. Just some hard foam with elastics or clips around the board will do.

The PRO red one looks a little too PRO for me (at the rate I do things its not exactly production).

Even the Cooper one is starting to look better now. Does someone know what that little arm on the Cooper is for? Even the Panavise has something on the right arm.

Thanks guys, you've really enlightened me regarding this tool.

Now, do any of you use a magnifying glass, maybe with an added light?
(I may start a new thread for this question but while we're on the subject of soldering PCBs...)

jim

[quote author="Ptownkid"]and that arm thing is for holding the resistors in place.[/quote]

As for the magnifier, I bought one and rarely use it. The only time it gets used is for looking for shorts, but I usually use a hand held sherlock for that purpose.

I tape the components down with some green masking tape. I admit, not very eco-friendly.

I am not a fan of bending leads or bending wires.

I've decided to get the Panavise. Thanks to all for the great descriptions and opinions.

All this stimulated by the Great River preamp project brought here by Greg and now offered as a Kit by Ptownkid. I'll be making 2 first and then who knows? I also have the 2 GSSls to do! Oh yea and my second LA2A to finish.....whats happening......yikes! Its a sickness.

All I ever wanted to do was play guitar!

jim

Just go to the local drugstore and pickup a pair of "old man" reading glasses. Get the ones the are over 200 magnifiers. They only run about $15 US. They work great. I have the magnifier lamp and it gets in the way of the soldering iron or solder remover. Also, you have to keep moving it around to get a good view. The glasses work perfect.....although you look like an old man!

Jeff

Back