AML Selling Various AMEK/TAC Upgrade Kits!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnysparks

Just a heads up for those who didn't get an email. Audio Maintenance Limited is selling several different kits to upgrade channels in AMEK and TAC boards. I'm really excited about the BCII mic pre mod board. Anyone tried it?

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/aml_electronic_products.html

I don't have the specs on the pres for the matchless, but I installed one and immediately noticed a stark improvement in the signal clarity. The EQ even works better. It's pretty impressive to my ears, especially since I thought the stock pres were good to begin with.

I ordered over a dozen more, and will most likely upgrade the whole console. This is an affordable upgrade. I strongly recommend anyone with one of these consoles to upgrade one channel just to A-B it.

Talk to Colin at AML. Nice guy.

Steve

yeah, i emailed colin with the same question. he said they had some out to various studios and should have some reviews available soon. i know at least with the bcII kit it swaps in for the mic pre section. besides the recap kit that comes with each board nothing else changes. once i get some extra cash i'm going to get 2 to try out. i'll report back on them after i do. here's a little bit of info:

http://forum.analogconsole.com/viewtopic.php?t=301&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

if anyone in the USA wants to go in with me on some bcII boards maybe we can get quantity pricing and i can send them to everyone from my place... :green:

Colin makes great stuff and prices are very reasonable. I own a Magnum and the pres are already pretty good but on the Matchless and Scorpion there is a huge improvement. These are supposed to be Langley design preamps. I'm not sure if the name is used as "cloned" or "like".

He also sells cpacitor kits for the TAC boards if you plan on making a recap.

jim

Graham designs all the schematics, then I do the layout, then Graham does the spec testing and makes any amendments to the values..... It is actually a current "Langley Design"..... It is a partnership between the 2 companies.

They do come with a "9098i capacitor" kit.... for obvious reasons.

There are a few people who have the BC2 type ....

In each case there is an inprovement..... since they are all basically the same circuit, the degree of improvement depends on the starting point. So you will see a greater improvement in Matchless than BC2.... but on a BC2 it also improves the Line input (whereas it doesn't on a Matchless as it has a seperate line amp).

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

In each case there is an inprovement...
If I were a potential customer I'd appreciate it if you could add technical reasons why there should be an improvement--e.g. EIN has been lowered by 2 dB, distortion at 10 kHz reduced 2x etc. In addition to this I'm missing detailed specifications (or did I overlook those?).

Looking at the pictures I'd conclude that the design at hand is not much more than a straightforward implementation of the topology presented by Cohen. Similar to the GreenPre and all its relatives.

Samuel

Like;

THD+N
SSM2015 - 0.059%
Langley - 0.00062%

10Hz loss
SSM2015 - 3.49dB
Langley - 0.54dB

This is inconsequential compared to the fact that the SSM2015 is attempting to drive the patchbay/insert directly..... if you plug in a piece of outboard gear with a 600 Ohm input then it dies completely....

....and of course SSM2015's are now unobtanium.

At some point (probably when Graham has finished moving house) we will generate a published spec.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

"Langley" Mic amp upgrade boards are now available for the AMEK Einstein E10 module;

Part number AML-16-010

TAC Magnum version should be available in a few days.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

"Langley" Mic amp upgrade boards are now available for the TAC Magnum MG1001 module;

Part number AML-16-011

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

is it me or are the designs actually the same design just layed out to fit other circuits?

Anything stopping the buyer from purchasing a board and making a freestanding preamp out of one of these? If you could I bet you'd sell a lot as stand alone boards.

They are basically all the same with subtle variations to enable them to be physically suitable (eg the Magnum version has a couple of extra resistors on the upgrade board because they were in an inconvenient location on the module).

I expect that a standalone version will happen at some point.... at the moment there are still a few consoles not yet "done".

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

We have now released the "Langley" mic amp upgrade kits for the
TAC Scorpion II (S1001 & S1101).... they are available from the on-line
store (part number AML-16-012).

It is supplied with a set of electrolytic capacitors for the input channel
(same Dubilier type used on 9098i consoles) and a replacement gain pot.

Alternatively, there is also a "Langley" Line level modification upgrade
available (Part number AML-16-014).... primarily intended for DAW users who
do not require "mic gain" it replaces the mic input circuit with a line
level only (+/- 20dB) circuit of much better quality. (Supplied with a
replacement gain pot and electrolytic capacitors).

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Latest posts

Back