EDAC/Elco crimper

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

I have an upcoming project with "more than a few" EDAC/Elco pins. My crimper was stolen a few years ago (along with my Panavise and other other items) while I was working on a gig within a "secure" area at a worksite (go figure!)

I haven't replaced my Elco crimper yet, so I am seeking the most economical replacement.

Bri

Solder type pins....
seriously, the Elco crimps suck anyways, and it does not take much more time to sloder them, and your wrist won't get sore
I done millions

I've "skated" the past few years by either using solder-type EDAC/Elco pins, or borrowing a friend's crimper.

However, in this new situation, I need to terminate a bazillion "E3" connectors for a patchbay. The crimped pins are the only logical solution.

Bri

Ugh, I just did this with a single bittree patchbay...their E3 "tool kit" is something like $250 which I refused to buy for this one patchbay. Redco has the solder pins and I would try either Redco or Pacific Radio in los angeles for an economical crimper.

You see them on eBad. -That's the most economical way to buy one. I usually solder, specially since I'm getting tendonitis issues, which the crimpers tend to exacerbate. -I do own a crimper though, which I intend to keep for the occasional job, but I usually prefer to solder.

Keith

whenever we crip pins at work we end up doing a bead of solder just to secure the connection. If it were not for our chief tech loving them I would use the solder type. PLus much easier to do mass soldering of pins at a time Vs loading a pin at a time into a crimper. You could always rent a crimping machine.

I also tend to prefer the solder-type pins when working with an EDAC multipin socket. However, the so-called "E3" connector (looks a bit like a 3 pin Molex) has no strain relief, so crimping is the only reasonable solution.

I see that Paladin sells a crimper that is less costly than the "official" crimper. Anyone used one of those Paladins?

Bri

Latest posts

Back