pultec finished

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ioaudio

this was a very satisfying build - thanks to purusha for housing&info!
front_finished.jpg

finally found a adequate job for the siemens/wsw isolation amps i had lying around for some time . they do sound huge and go perfectly together with the passive filter network of the eqp1.
normal_inside%7E0.jpg

i took my time building this. first i breadborded the mid/high boost section section to wind my inductors.
with the inductor finished i started to try various capacitors for the right sound, with the wsw isolation amp already connected. i used signal feedback from output to input for oscillation to find the right values for some stereo-matching.
finally i put the inductors into a brass tube for some shielding and mainly for optics :)
normal_inductor_section.jpg

more/bigger pictures can be found here

inside1.jpg

Hey Max, that's a serious looking Pultec :thumb:

What inductors and caps did you use?

EDIT: OK, I saw above you did your own inductors :thumb:

Can you give us some sound descriptions ... :grin:

oooooooooo i want one. let me borrow it :wink:
Is that a stereo unit? i'm still learning about this DIY stuff.

thank you all!

yes, thats a dual mono/stereo unit.
the caps used are ero (roederstein) and the very small values are wima´s.
i was trying styroflex for the high boost section but didnt like it as much as the wima´s in this application.. mind you, thats very subjective, some would say it doesnt matter which brand/kind to use here.

winding the inductor is fun, and if you want a stereo unit its much easier/more precise to match the inductance, since most commercial available inductors have a tolerance of +/- 20% on top of that you will not find the needed values. parts for inductors

to describe the sound, well, look at the output transformers and imagine the sound :) if you stumble across this isolation amp modules from wsw, watch out!
i am about building the second unit, so this one will be for sale.

thats a motorola mda2501, a discontinued full wave rectifier. its followed by a lm317 for 24vdc, because the internal psu of the wsw-module wasnt happy with unregulated dc.

-max

some information for winding your own inductor
e - core ferrite 25mm with Al=1400nh

tap---------mH---------turns
0------------0------------0
1-----------27----------164
2-----------39----------197
3-----------78----------279
4----------155----------394
5----------312----------558

i did the winding by hand, needs about 10 min excl. lead soldering etc.

:shock: Very, very nicely built. :thumb:
Excellent wiring - i wish i had the patience to diy my gear this well thought and good looking.
Thanks for the insights of your work. The winding information for your inductor wiring is giving a clear picture of how easy it is actually to do serious ly good sounding diy gear!
'Pultec'-Steffen did this some time ago (inductor-diy for pultec) but it's very nice to show things like this again for everyone who might have missed it.

Thank you and kind regards,

Martin :sam:

with some of my first projects i didnt care so much about layout and wiring. but in case something´s wrong, its so much easier to fix a problem, and since you put more thought into everything, there should be no problems from the beginning.
thanks for your kind words everyone!

-max

Just been asked to modify 4 WSW modules to make usuable with ribbons.
Told that can lower feedback/raise gain by increasing value of R24 on following schematic -
http://www.wsw.cz/11WSW_ISOL_AMP/WSW_SCHEMA_ISOL_AMP.JPG

told to try 10k. Is this a safe starting point - I dont want to change it, power up and the thing go into oscillation burnout!

Any thoughts :?:

Latest posts

Back