Beginner Question about my G-SSL parts ordering

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, that's the beauty of a company selling stuff to techs and engineers, They have to have thier sh-t together.

Well, today I went out and bought a nice digital controlled temperature solder station, solder sucker, some tinner, some solder, and a nice PCB holder with the alligator clips and a magnifying glass (only 13 bucks...not bad)

Then when I arrived home, both Gustav's PCB and Greg's Hi Pass filter PCB were in the mail...

I guess it's time to start stuffing eh???

IM NERVOUS! I think perhaps I should have a bourbon to calm my nerves and relax my hands...

Burboun does great things for the nerves but it may relax you too much and you'll end up with an expander :grin:

I would read some online tutorials on soldering and jump in....

Good luck

i've been reading a bunch lately...

keep it hot, keep it tinned, keep it clean. don't try and take solder off the tip and put it on. keep it clean. keep it clean. keep it hot.

Keep it hot and short (the amount of time you heat the solder pad)... if you overheat the solder pad for too long a time, it'll peel right up.

do you guys generally stick in one piece...solder it...stick in another....solder it...

or do you stuff the whole board, flip it, and then cut the ends and solder them?

Also make sure to place enough solder to cover the pads. I know there pretty large compared to a resistor lead but it will help you not have problems from a lack of.

Use your magnifying lenses and look for cold solder joints, they typically look like a circle around the lead. Since this is your first project you may cause a few of them.

I'm almost finished with 2 of these. watch out for 47 value multiples, I found some mistakes with these that I had to go back and redo. Also some pads are very close and can make solder bridges where there shouldn't be a bridge.

They're symmetric so it doesn't matter electronically... if they're D-shaft, just install in such a way that your knob set screw doesn't hit the flat part of the shaft. You want the set screw to hit the round part.

morning greg
thanks a bunch

i'd say i'm at like....65% with this project maybe...

i've got way too many projects on my hands right now and im finding myself spending more time juggling them then contributing to any of them

finally got some time to sit down with this today and was just like

0_o

completely out of the groove with it and finding myself just staring at everything like what in the hell am i doing

Yeah, that happens. I've been juggling a bunch of builds and when I come back to one I left it's like "damn square one again!" There is no reason why you should be able to just pick up where you left off easily. I think it just comes with experience. And if you are guilding one circuit, then a different one, there is not enough time spent with the one circuit to become an expert on it. my $.02..

I'm finding for certain things I need to leave myself a good 6 hour widow, or stay up until 5AM :green:

Latest posts

Back