worst tech accident contest...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago I was adjusting the color inside one of my old crt monitors. And the insulation must have been bad on the output of the flyback transformer. Cause a blue lightning bolt flew out to my hand and nearly electrocuted me. That hurt!

Have you ever seen a big Three-jaw chuck jumping off an old industry lathe at 600 rpm right in your direction, missing your legs a few centimeters then rolling a few meters until it makes a nice big hole into the stonewall? Well, I did...this colleage was running time bomb when metalworking....

A few weeks ago I pimped my pc motherboard with soldring a pot to the offset pin of a voltage regulator IC while the board was still noubted in the case. I turned it on, got into the bios screen turned the pot and processor voltage was gently raised as expected and then POOF. ???
Now, I did everything right, watercooling was running all was cool!
What happened?
Then I saw nice blood red spots all over and at the computer case.
I had cut my left little finger on the outer side for about 2 cent centimeters very sharply at the case while working while soldering in the case and didn't even notice it.
Well, the board was ruined my finger started to hurt and didn't stop bleeding that easy....but after all - the Q6600 fortunately survived this....

:razz:

Another one - with my first serious band in the soft age of sixteen we decided to decorate our rehersal room. Next day we rehearsed and the drummer threw a cymbal thru the rehearsal room because it just broke 2 minutes before and he was so stoned and upset.
It rolled and cutted the singers microphone cable in 2 halfs, right in the mid.
We bursted all in laughter and I raised my hand to the narrow ceiling while touching the strings of my bass and -ZOSH- made a huge jump.
Rock and roll, we covered the whole ceiling with cool looking (metal) foil and overlooked some unisolated cables....well...

Otherwise only the obvious verdicts - a reversed electro that exploded, some 220-240 V mains action here and there and a geiger-mueller counter that we toasted a bit with roentgen waves before putting it back on the lab-coat while studying nuclear physics to make the doc become very nervous...but that was just a funny fake accident.... :twisted:

Man that was fun the time I was a heavy metal musician....

Kind regards,
Martin

I DECIDED TO RUN THER RIGHT SIDE OF NIGHMARE ISLAND ON THE MERCED RIVER LAST WEEKEND, PEAK RUNOFF 4000 CFS,BAD CHOICE, WENT INTO A KEEPER HOLE, FLIPPED OUT, BAILED OUT BECUASE LOW ON o2, BARELEY MADE IT TO SHORE BEFORE THE 4 PLUS CHIPPED TOOTH RAPID BELOW, WHICH SURELEY WOULD HAVE FINISHED ME OFF, AS I WAS HYPER VENTILATING ALREADY.

I GRABBED SOME SMALL PLANTS GROWING IN THE FROZEN SNOW MELT WATER,1/4 INCH THICK, FERRIED ME IN, SAVED MY LIFE.

DANG CLOSE.

OH, DOES THIS HAVE TO INCLUDE ELECTRICITY?

SORRY, WRONG THREAD.

o.k. this is why you don't smoke pot and then work on ANYTHING! i'm outside the shop which is located in a rehearsal studio. many bands hanging around (going in and coming out) one bunch of guys offers a few tokes......said idiot (me) accepts bands offer......i go back inside to the marshall major i'm working on and go to discharge the filter caps...zap zap zap...wow real good caps what storage!! zap zap zap....wow, these really hold a charge!! zap zap zap what's goin' on here? duh, it's still plugged in!! same studio years ago getting ready to add some rooms (originally printing presses were in this section of the building) main panel was about 300 feet away...i'm going to convert what i thought was a regular 220 line to two circuits to run two crown macrotechs.....simple enough, right? meter's out okay 1st legs dead, lets get the other one.....okay, second ones dead ....let's cut this shit out with the bell pliers so, using the 1900 box for cutting leverage, the first wire i decide to cut is holding me and the box together and i'm doing "boogie with the box!) good thing my buddy/ boss was there to knock me off! that was my first encounter with the dreaded "bastard" leg (277 motor start)..... my boss swears this was when i started going gray!.....neither of these stories was too bright.............frank

Before I got a "proper" engineer job, I used to repair mics amongst other studio gear in my bedroom.

For some mics, superglue was occasionally used for particular materials. Anyway, I got up one morning to finish up a job from the night before and realised that the nozzle was blocked. So after a lot of squeezing, the whole bottle exploded once it unblocked. Unfortunately, all over my groin and legs whilst I was only wearing boxer shorts. I quickly realised that having your wanger glued to your leg was not a good look so I ran to the shower which seemed to solidify the glue immediately. Fortunately, nothing got stuck to anything, although peeling off a large area of superglued skin did result in losing a lot of skin with it. Painful stuff.

[quote author="rodabod"]Before I got a "proper" engineer job, I used to repair mics amongst other studio gear in my bedroom.

For some mics, superglue was occasionally used for particular materials. Anyway, I got up one morning to finish up a job from the night before and realised that the nozzle was blocked. So after a lot of squeezing, the whole bottle exploded once it unblocked. Unfortunately, all over my groin and legs whilst I was only wearing boxer shorts. I quickly realised that having your wanger glued to your leg was not a good look so I ran to the shower which seemed to solidify the glue immediately. Fortunately, nothing got stuck to anything, although peeling off a large area of superglued skin did result in losing a lot of skin with it. Painful stuff.[/quote]

More info neede, was the superglued skin on your thigh or pecker?

[quote author="W DeMarco"]
More info neede, was the superglued skin on your thigh or pecker?[/quote]

It literally just missed my pecker, but I had an area about twice the size of my hand spread down the inside of my thigh from my groin downwards.

Things could have got pretty hairy. (Sorry)

[quote author="rodabod"][quote author="W DeMarco"]
More info neede, was the superglued skin on your thigh or pecker?[/quote]

It literally just missed my pecker, but I had an area about twice the size of my hand spread down the inside of my thigh from my groin downwards.

Things could have got pretty hairy. (Sorry)[/quote]

Or lack there of...

My worst accident was all about reflexes. When you knock the iron off the table don't grab it as it falls. At the least grab the handle and not the hot business end.

JP

> I ran to the shower which seemed to solidify the glue immediately.

Most cyanoacrylate glues can be catalyzed by water. A spritz from water in a spray bottle is a standard trick to hasten slow-cure glue when you have the parts in position.

There's not a good answer. The stuff will cure from air and skin moisture soon enough anyway. While I could point out the risks involved in squeezing a blockage without protective clothing (full Tyvek boiler-suit and head armor), you know that better than I do. And you don't have to have strong hands.... I've had cyano glue bottles just gush "for no reason" (cheezy poly bottles).

> losing a lot of skin with it. Painful stuff.

If you can stand leaving the glue on, leave it on. Pee sideways, wear long pants. The glue won't come off your skin but your skin does come off a few cell-layers a day. In a few days the glue-blob falls off exactly like dandruff. OK, it may stay stuck to hairs and you can't have that blob on you for the months it takes for hair to grow through a cycle, but "ouch" and the hair is gone without skin damage.

Usually, I buy large bottles of Cyano glue from RS or the like, but a few weeks back I ran out. I went and had open-wallet surgery at my local Tesco (the vile company that destroys communities), buying a couple of mL for several quid.

Anyway, the bottle wouldn't open - it was this ridiculous dispenser where you needed to push a trigger. I couldn't even get glue out by putting it in a vice. So, I take the bottle back to the store and ask for a replacement. The Store Manager happens to be at the desk and decides to assist me... He decides to try and manually open the bottle...by putting it between his teeth and twisting... This guy's a store manager...??? I can't look - all I can envisage is this guy going off to A+E.

Even his teeth couldn't open the bottle, but what a brain donor... Trying to open superglue with your teeth? Twat.

Justin

Interesting technique - could result in silence and hunger ...  ;D

I always wondered how long it takes some cyanacrylate glues to cure on air - so sometimes one doesnt even notice someting might be wrong.....ouch
sometimes I just wiped it away with dry cloth before it glued fingers together without problem. Like PRR mentioned, remove what you can before it cures and don't wash your hands(!)...in 27 days latest all is gone (standard skin renewal time). don't waste worthy time on your fingernails, concentrate on your skin while removing...

But in your mouth I'm pretty sure it is glueing *much* faster.... ;D

Nobody injured, but I was once working on very big show. After the first rehearsal we switched everything of.

The show was in a stadium and we had a huge box for electricity with big copper bar which carried the current to the dispatch block.

Some hours later we turned everything on again but it literally exploded.... It happened that those copper bar where getting hot during the show and after we left the stadium, a cat found this hot spot and fel asleep on it (nice place to take a rest hu ?)
when we powered the thing , the cat exploded.....

Not funny to clean the electricity box after a cat explosion...

PRR said:
> losing a lot of skin with it. Painful stuff.

If you can stand leaving the glue on, leave it on. Pee sideways, wear long pants. The glue won't come off your skin but your skin does come off a few cell-layers a day. In a few days the glue-blob falls off exactly like dandruff. OK, it may stay stuck to hairs and you can't have that blob on you for the months it takes for hair to grow through a cycle, but "ouch" and the hair is gone without skin damage.

As somebody who has been using cyanoacrylate glue every day for thirty years, that is the best advice.

Although you can get cyano releaser in a bottle leaving it to come off naturally is the best way. Don't put another chemical on your skin as part of it will be absorbed.

I am afraid I have far too many worst one to list, from electrical accidents to blowing capacitors and wrecking my car. But the one which pissed me off most, and I mean it because I was in tears and it is not a good situation to be in in front of your employees, not only wrecked the job but  also made me looked like a total idiot.

We worked on an architectural model for almost two weeks and we were working overnight as the following morning the model was due for delivery. Spraying was all finished and I was literally doing the final touch by spraying mottles over the model to give a bit of texture and definition. But in the heat of the moment I forgot to put the lid on the spray gun. Here I was wawing the spray gun left and right, complete with a rhytmic motion while telling guys to stand back, and  I tripped over the f**king hose and a big blob of dark grey paint splashed all over the model.  

Hi,

Not accidents of mine, but I once turned up to a session on a monday morning, where a large coca-cola had been poured over the last 8 channels of a soundtracs Jade( or inline?) last thing friday night without being cleaned up. There was a dreadful hum on the mixbus. When we eventually worked out which channels were faulty( not apparent externally), the pcb tracks had been dissolved away completely!

Also an SSL that someone had spilt MacDonald's "milkshake" over. With the radiant heat. it had set as hard as concrete! The tech tried chipping it off, smashing switches and pots, and the paint came off. Just think what it does to your insides . . . .

There was also the mystery of holes punched in the bass-drivers of the 209 questeds at Zomba This happened several times, and everyone suspected a disgruntled employee, til someone realised the cleaner was doing it with the mop-end whilst cleaning the floor . . .

My worst was whilst wiring up a patchbay for a dear friend, who had just had a huge and very expensive carpet fitted in her open-plan flat. Her studio set-up was right in the middle, and my soldering iron fell out of its holder, and burned right through the carpet, exactly where her chair went, and in direct view . . . . So ashamed . . . .

loads of shocks, worst in a Spanish studio, installing a pair of Questeds. I reached behind the rack to plug something into the crossover. WHAM! blew me clean backwards. When I had a look, all the outboard mainsleads were twisted together, and wrapped with tape, which had come off . . . . ANd this was in a brand new SSL studio with the largest E series I had seen to date . . . . Half an hour later, one of the workman was taken off to hospital, having suffered the effects of using a drill OUTSIDE in a torrential downpour. I couldn't get away fast enough.

ANdyP

Back