Behr EuroRack Mixer Problem/Solution

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonsOfThunder

So, I've seen a few of these (of various models):

normal_P1010123.JPG

with a common problem...located there on the back panel. Its what they call a "power supply connector", but I think its their idea of a joke. It looks like a darn video connector to me. Not very sturdy, pins look too wimpy to carry the needed current, just seems like a crappy choice for a connector on a mixer that is likely to be moved around a lot. I mean, its quite portable isn't it?

So here is my suggested solution:

normal_P1010140.JPG

It worked for me, YMMV. Together the parts cost about USD$14, but its cheaper than a whole power supply, which i think runs about USD$30?

Its Amphenol part numbers T 3301 001 (receptacle) and T 3302 000 (plug). At Mouser they are part numbers 523-T3301-001 and 523-T3302-000 respectively. They are 4-pin circular DIN connectors that screw together (so it can't fall out in the middle of a gig :oops:). They are all metal (except the strain relief of course) and pretty darn robust as you can see. I think you might break the back metal of the mixer before you break the connector. :green:

I have some more detailed photos if anyone needs to see that. I know this is pretty simple but I thought I do a little something to contribute to others who might be scratching their head on this as I was in the beginning.

The hardest part about this mod? Getting some of the knobs off!! WOW!! I had to use a flatblade screwdriver to gently pry them off. I wrapped the tip in a bit of plastic bag to keep the sharp edges from scratching the top of the mixer. And then there's a load of nuts holding the 1/4 inch jacks on...!

Peace!
Charlie

No I didn't, we mostly use these for a headphone driver for the drummers at my church, so its line level input only. This particular one belongs to one of them personally and I did not want to do what I did before which was to just eliminate the plug and wire in the PS directly.

That Phonic looks like it might have a decent PS connector though... yes? A bad mixer becomes really bad when the power connector falls out/won't stay connected! :green:

Help!

I have one of those Behringer 1202 boards that some chick gave me. Her looser boyfriend or whatever split and I inherited it. It has one of those screw on connectors. I would like to power up the board. Can you tell be what voltages AC or DC go on what pins and which is ground?

Thanks,

:Ron

When I was a bench tech, I had to disassemble a lot of cheaper, non-modular mixers and that involved pulling off a lot of knobs and removing a lot of pot nuts. Two tools which made the job much quicker and smoother:

A simple knob puller tool... I can't find a picture of it right now, but it's essentially two pieces of stiff wire formed into rectangles, joined together at a handle.

A set of long sockets, 1/4 square drive adaptor and a high-speed electric screwdriver with adjustable clutch.

Pop, pop, pop... Zip, zip, zip.

I couldn't find a pic on the web of the knob removal tool. I'll just snap a picture of mine next time I think of it. It's simple enough that you could DIY it, although probably cheap enough to buy if you can find a place that sells them.

Back