Any DIY experts in the Minneapolis area?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csonics

Anybody here in the Minneapolis/St. Paul who would be willing to trade some electronics expertise for a case (or two) of beer?

I'm trying to repair an analog synth of mine, I've got the repair manual, and I still can't get this thing to work! I think its just due to my inexperience and I'd love to get a second opinion.

-Mike

I am planing a trip to the cities in the beginging of June, If I go I can help out. Synths are where I started out. But we maybe able to just get it working here online, analog synths are easy to trouble shoot.

What synth and what is the problem.

adamasd,

that would be sweet! Its a moog satellite. I'm having trouble with the triggering section. Originally I had the power regulator IC go out and fry all of the 741s on it. i replaced all of those and now I'm having trouble with getting it to trigger properly.

I might not be going down there anymore, it looks like I might be starting a new job next week.

But the Satelite is a simple beast, and the trigger section is easy, we know it is either the key trigger circuitry or the envelope.

Did you get this synth in this state or did it die in your possession? Mainly do you know if it was working properly before the regulator went suicidal and took all those opamps with it? In what way is it not working? Is it just not triggering at all or is it triggering in some weird manor and if so what is that weird manor?

I will see if I can dig out my copy of the schematic for that thing in the morning. It might already have been packed up though, getting ready to move house in a few weeks, lots of change going on.

Adamsad,

Congrats on the new job! Anyway, yes, it was working properly for a few years and then sometimes I would press the keys and no sound would come out intermitently. Sometimes, the volume would be wonky too. I would be louder then more quiet without me doing anything different. Then finally on day it just didn't pass sound anymore. Here's what I've done so far:

Replaced:

-Regulator
-All 741s (except for on the
-All CA3080s
-Q6, Q7, Q8

The power section looks good but I am getting +-21v and +-9v regulated current for some reason or another. I it should be +-19 and +-9. I talked to some synth expert guy who said that was probably fine.

I'm seeing issues with control voltages in the IC 4 and IC 5 area. I can give more specifics when I am sitting at my bench with the thing tonight. I can get you a PDF of the schematic if you need one.

-Mike

I can get you a PDF of the schematic if you need one.

That would be good, it seems mine has been packed away already.

You can email it to me at

adam at hoodmusic dot net

Latest posts

Back