Dual mono GSSL mod?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPrisus

Just thinking out loud, but how difficult would it be to give the GSSL two sets of controls and two independent compressor paths, enabling dual mono use as well as stereo? The Alan Smart C2 got me thinking about this. Once I build my GSSL in a few weeks i'll probably have a better idea of what this would entail, but any thoughts would be nice to know! For those that don't know, the C2 can be a bitchin' kick/snare compressor, as well as some types of vocals and bass. But the GSSL/FXG384 aren't really designed with this in mind. Any thoughts?

Mount two pcb's in one box - populate only one of the channels on each PCB.

As the sidechain is common to both channels, there is no simple dual-channel mod.

Which also means, that you could (nearly) as well build two stereo units. There's not many components saved my making them mono.

Jakob E.

If my stereo unit comes out ok i'll try dual mono next.

also, in dual mono, i could populate one of the circuit boards entirely and switch say the right channel in one, out the other, correct? seems simple enough.

Has anyone actually compared these clones to the originals? haven't seen anything about that anywhere. I'll probably rent an FXG384 for comparison when this bad boy is done.

Gonna add a variable HPF in the side chain thanks to a friend's suggestion. Should make the GSSL even more versatile.

also, i was inquiring about the use of a toggle switch for bypass... got the info on the relay circuit, but what i still don't get is why can't a simple DPST toggle do the trick? That'll bypass the two sections (compression and makeup gain) simultaneously, no?

So If I put two seperate signals through the left and right of the SSL, say a kick in one side and a snare in the other, considering the compression settings would be the same, the two signals would not interfere with eachother would they?

And using just one channel in Ok right?

They would interfere because both sides share a common sidechain. Plus, i couldn't imagine ever doing that with only one common set of controls. Rather put a loaded pistol to the head :green:

[quote author="JPrisus"]
Has anyone actually compared these clones to the originals? haven't seen anything about that anywhere. I'll probably rent an FXG384 for comparison when this bad boy is done.
[/quote]

This is NOT a clone of the '384, it's a stereo clone of the quad bus compressor in a SSL 4000E console.

Yes, I have compared to the original. That is how I made the unit.

:grin:

Jakob E.

[quote author="gyraf"]
This is NOT a clone of the '384, it's a stereo clone of the quad bus compressor in a SSL 4000E console.
[/quote]

i thought the 384 was basically the same as the quad bus comp, no? The 384 sounded a little 'cleaner' when compared to the quad, but i chalked that up to either the 384 i/o stages or the console's wear-and-tear.

Latest posts

Back