Just say no to fiberglass insulation

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="living sounds"]To avoid all health issues and have excellent isolation I recently used Homatherm FlexCL. It's made of old newspapers and sold in hardware stores specialized in organic materials. Don't know if it is availible outside central Europe though.[/quote]

is this fireproof ?

It doesn't burn easily, but it's not fireproof.

There is a lot of information about the material on their site:
http://www.homatherm.com/de/produkte/flexclR/zulassung-und-zertifizierung.html

[quote author="byoung"]So I'm a little confused is it the Owens Corning type 703 2" 2x4 sheets of rigid fiberglass that are bad for you? This is what most acoustical and bass traps I have seen in studios are made with. It is covered with a loose thread muslin or burlap type material. I have read that they can have a thin layer of fiberfill between the board and the outer fabric to contain an particles?? I was actually just planning to buy some for my studio and make some traps. I don't want to if it's going to make me sick working in there everyday.[/quote]

I don't know much about the rigid sheets as I haven't worked with them and haven't read the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). My original post was about the fluffy batts, which I can't stand working with due to the glass fibers as well as the odor making me feel ill if I'm around it for awhile.

IMO, if you get a sample of the rigid stuff and it doesn't seem to emit much of a chemical odor, and the MSDS looks ok, then you should probably install it and not worry about it. OTOH, if you take a whiff of it and it smells like a clorox factory and the MSDS lists numerous carcinogens, you should probably search for an alternative solution. But that is just my opinion. All of the middle ground is strictly each person's personal choice.

All this indoor air pollution stuff is a hotly debated topic with the people who have gotten sick from it on one side and the manufacturers' scientists on the other :grin:

Latest posts

Back