external audio input for Juno 6 / 60 / 106

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discobloud

hello all. wondering if anyone has built an audio in on their Juno 6/60 to use the filters and chorus as effects... i searched the forum/web and synth forums and on and on. no luck. i have the schemos here, but no knowledge on how to go abouts doing it. i have a juno 6 and my friend has the 106...

thanks for your time.

mark

Oh memories, this was probably the first synth mod I ever did so I could use that chorus on other stuff. The easiest way is just to pick an IR3109 and run an input there on pin2. I did a basic opamp inverting buffer with a TL071 and ran it into C5. Worked well, but to use it you need to put the sustain all the way up and turn off the VCO/noise then push a key until audio gets through and weight down the key so the envelope stays engaged. It has six note polyphony and that is only adding an input on one voice, which is why you need to repeatedly hit the key until you hear sound from your external input, you need to cycle the Juno through its 6 notes until you get to the one with the input. You could run the input into all 6 notes and avoid that, or just start up in the Unison/Test mode. You also could lock the VCA open with a switch/pot to put a fixed control voltage on the VCA so you do not need to weight a key down to get sound.

The 106 is quite abit different, completely different VCF/VCA. Instead of using the IR3109 for the VCF and a BA662 for the VCA Roland switched to using a all one one chip sort of deal for the VCF/VCA. The procedure is pretty much the same though, just doing it on the VCF/VCA chip instead. The Schematic for the 106 is floating on the net, its labeled well and you will have no problems finding the VCF/VCA chip on it. The part number escapes me at the moment.

I have been trying to find my Juno schematics for weeks now, starting to think they are gone for good. Thanks for posting these. You do not happen to have the rest of the schematics for this do you? Mainly the chorus section?

adam

Here it is:

Juno 6 External input

EXTRNAL IN ONLY is if you want tu use the effect section only and avoid the noise from the synth. Synth signal will be disconnected when you plug in an external signal.

MIX IN is if you want to use the external signal together with the synth signal. Resistor may be beetween 10k to 47k, depending on the level of the input signal.

WARNING: Not for direct plug in of a guitar - you will need a buffer cause of the relative low input impedance.

analogguru

Here it is:...

Thats chorus only, thats no fun, you cant ignore the VCFs like that. Although you do not need to weight a key down if you do not worry about using the VCF.

EXTRNAL IN ONLY....

The only problem I see with that is you would have to cut a trace on the PCB, or splice into the wiring harness, I hate doing that.

But it does have its advantages over my method.

AMAZING. thanks adamasd and analoguru. i searched many forums and text files looking for an answer. i'll let you know how it works.

thanks

mark

Thats chorus only, thats no fun, you cant ignore the VCFs like that. Although you do not need to weight a key down if you do not worry about using the VCF.

The only problem I see with that is you would have to cut a trace on the PCB, or splice into the wiring harness, I hate doing that.

You should look for a broken Korg Polysix. Many have problems with the battery and the CPu-board is broken, but the effect board should be intact.

With this effect board you have a 3-line Chorus/Ensemble (instead of 2) and additionally you have a VCF (what you can use for Wah, Auto Wah) and a VCA (for Tremolo, Volume).

And you must not worry about cutting a trace or splice the wiring harness.

analogguru

The PolySix is a great synth but its VCF and Chorus are no where near as good as the Juno6/60. A friend actually has PolySix parts for me, the effects and some of the voice chips. But that is not a priority, and I have a stash of IR3109s so I can make Juno/Jupiter/101 VCFs galore. I really need to spread some of these 3109s around, I do not need so many.

And you must not worry about cutting a trace or splice the wiring harness.

Its not worry, I just prefer to avoid it when possible, I would rather do it at C5 like I did and desolder one side of the cap so I get to solder to a pad and the cap. Soldering to a cut trace or onto the pad of the IC socket just does not make a good strong solder joint, and those wiring harness are a real pain to splice into.

adam

Latest posts

Back