OT Need Help to Convert Illustrator File...PLEASE

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommytones

I have several files created with Ilustrator and need to export them to .dxf so I can send them to the engraver. Problem is my software seems to be screwed up cause every time I export, the dxf files contain no info or simply gives an error. I'd really hate to have to redo the panels so if somebody can help me with this I'd really appreciate it. (bonus is you also get a copy of the panel work)

Tommy, email me the files and I will see what I can do. I have Illustrator 10 and can check the cad export in Autosketch.
I can get on it first thing tomorrow AM.

Regards,
Chris

christopherwargo #at& hotmail dhot kom.

I've been doing my panels in AutoCad 2000. I have illustrator 10 but
I'm wary of the scaling and It doesn't have the convient tools that I rely on. The Output looks as good as anything else to me.
I start by importing a DXF of the mechanical on a seperate layer
and adding the graphics on a seperate layer.

What are most people using for engraving, silk screens ect.??

RonL

Thanks Chris. The files are on the way.

I haven't ventured into using Autocad...guess I'm just being lazy. Looks like I'm gonna have to find a solution though so it might be a good time to start.

Tommy, I got 1 of 2. Is that all you sent?

For anyone who needs to do reliable .dxf and .dwg files, I strongly suggest Auosketch from Autodesk. It's basically a stripped down version of Autocad. It's much easier to use and only costs about $120USD. I find it way more user-friendly than Illustrator, which I rather dislike but need to use at work sometimes.

Regards,
Chris

When drawing, remember that dxf supports vector graphics only. Any bitmapping components will be lost.

I use an old CorelDraw for these types of conversion..

Jakob E.

[quote author="gyraf"]I use an old CorelDraw for these types of conversion..[/quote]
How old? When I try with CorelDraw 5 I get an empty dxf file...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

seeing empty dxf files is a prob I've encounted before when exporting from AI...as i remem, I had to make all objects a single fill colour (white) and leave no outlines, then export...

Then in acad it opened up with fine - with all objects wireframed and ready to polygon-ise

I've done this with both corel4 and corel7.

As DaArry says, it's important to have everything in vector'able format - otherwize it will come out empty.

In Corel, it's a good idea first to export to plotter (hpgl), then re-import into a new document, and then export dxf. This clears up a lot of layer/order problems in early corels

Jakob E.

Latest posts

Back