a new Guitar product for the sceptics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev

People know that I don't often start topics or threads.

I am at a loss :oops:

I'm excited about a new product but know nothing first hand. This is always an uneasy place to be in. The last time this happen it was V-Drums and it turned out to be less than people said BUT quite a useful product when used wisely. I do have many V-Drum tiggers and currently an Alesis D4 drum module. I'll DIY some more pads and later find an old DDrum or V-Drum brain. I want the newer HiHat trigger module set-up.

I hope for similar results with this new product.

Does anyone know about the Line 6 VARIAX as a product group and in particular the Variax Acoustic 700 ?????

Variax Acoustic 700 offers you 16 models of the finest acoustic instruments on the planet with the push of a button. You can easily access jumbos, 12-strings, or even a nylon string classical to suit any style of play. Variax Acoustic 700 gives you the freedom to achieve an expertly mic'd acoustic sound without complex setups or feedback, even at concert-level volumes! Recording a great acoustic sound no longer requires a noise-free environment or a big equipment budget; just plug in and go. You also get instant access to alternate tunings for endless possibilities to fuel your inspiration.
guitar.jpg

5.gif
photo.gif

My brain is telling me to NEVER buy the first model of anything like this and just like the POD there will be changes.

Alternate Tuning Set-Up :cool:
3.gif

Why am I so excited ?? :shock:
Make me stop ... as this can't be as good as people are telling me. :oops:

[quote author="nacho459"]Fuck DSP![/quote]

oh yes
intelligent comment

thanks for the help

yeah, yeah

Pro Tools sucks
2 inch rules
blah, blah

If I were made of money I could too have all the old really cool stuff that works properly.

BUT

I don't, so I use what ever technology can bring me to get a result that the punter thinks is the real thing. Most of our clients sell material to the MP3 listener so I just can't justify take 5 Classic Acoustic Guitars on stage were they are at constant risk. The workload as a FOH eng to keep track of the alternate tunings while I'm supposed to be out front and worried about overall sound. The gig doesn't have the budget to have the Guitar Tech side stage ... anymore
Times are changing.
Perhaps I can hire the thing and all the Musician and I have to do is jump on the plane and get a taxi to the SHOPPING CENTRE where a crappy small PA is provided ... for the fake live appearance ... make some noise and sign some autographs and leave. More money in that than doing a 500 to 100 seat TWO hour show. ... then the pack up.

I'm using more Trickery to do shows than ever before and this is just one more thing.
I don't think I could get emotionally attached to a unit like this SO it does scare me when a Young Turk grabs my guitar and starts prancing about on the stage.

Easy to replace
Not so, is a 20 year old Martin

:green:
I can rant some more id you like ....

There's something almost blasphemous about the whole idea of these guitars. I'm all for technology, started out on the 2" and moved to DAWs, etc., but i dunno... the only Line6 stuff that is useable IMHO are the FX units, and even they pale in comparison to the originals (but the price/performance ratio is great). If the guitars are ANYTHING like the amps, i'll pass. I just can't imagine them being good. Half the reason people prefer 'Pauls to Strats is the feel. You just can't model that

I think people are missing the point here.

NO these are not the real thing ...
Half the reason people prefer 'Pauls to Strats is the feel. You just can't model that

correct
I'm not going to take the real thing up on a crappy stage and get paid $25 every again.
It is blasphemous to risk quality gear for the benefit of screaming MP3 listeners.

Hey Kev, lighten up. I'm just messing around. Hey I love PT, and a little DSP isn't bad. I just think the overuse of these new "gifts" and the over all apathy of humanity, especially the recording industry, has brought around the downfall of Great recordings. I'm just from the Walter Sear school of thought. Sure Line 6 makes fun toys, but every time I record one I always regret it.

Not to stoke the fire or anything, but come on. This argument has no resolution. However, I will side with Kev on this one. There's alot to be said for convenience, especially in the live area. Will it take the place of a Martin? Of course not. Use it for what it can do appropriately. Remember that 90% of the fancy sonic crap we do is for ourselves and other engineers. I'd rather people made musically kick ass records with imitation stuff than the same old boring shit with awesome gear.

Just my .02 worth. :twisted:

And I came up using all the gear people have elevated to god-like status, so don't come back at me with the old 'well if you ever used such-and-such you'd understand'.

Zach

Hey Kev,

I used to work at Line 6,

I helped to product test the Variax electric guitar and the pod XT.

in my opinion the guitar was really cool. when comparing the modeled sounds like the les paul and fender to the real guitars it was amazingly close.

the very high end and super detail when going into distortion were not always there...but they were over all very fun to play with, and I would say very useful in a studio situation. The banjo and sitar setting were especially fun to play with.

I have never played with the acustic model, so I cant say much about that.

Line 6 stuff is cool on its own as long as you don't expect to have perfect emulaiotn and kind of use the products as tools to do things a little differently. Like using a drum machine for its sound and not trying to make it be real drums.

Kev,

I've worked with people playing them several times, well, the electric one anyway. Live they sound spectacularly good. In the studio I think they're OK, but for the most sensitive situations I'd still want the real thing, and the acoustic models are not convincing if they're exposed. For a live situation I wouldn't hesitate for a moment if it has the sounds you want.

:thumb: :guinness: :sam:

...and this is coming from a self proclaimed "you just can't DSP a Marshall" guy:

I think it looks cool. Especially for live use.

now back to my beloved EL84's...

cheers,
kent

Jeez, wait til the thing has a chance, you are shooting it down before it has left the gate!
We can always use new tools, sounds, toys when it comes to creating new sounds.

There was a part of me that did miss my Fender Super Reverb when I sold it. I think it was my Back. 85 Lbs of Amp fun. I have never played through anything louder and probably never will. Tempermental beast in need of an overhaul so I replaced it with a Flextone duo. Yes of course you can hear the terrible Tubetone Flaws. Or can you. 90% of us can't tell the difference but at 38 Lbs, lots of volume on stage I'm happy about the swap. For recording I use the Flextone direct or with 2 sm57's or AKG C1000s. Direct as scrub tracks. I also have a Pod2 and Bass Pod. Great to tweek. Lots of choices. Can you really tell if it's a Les Paul Gold top with SP90's or a chunk of formica with SP90's. Damned I can't tell the difference. After the first resolution of Variax I'll be looking for one, after trying it out for playability of course. When you can carry all your gear using two hands that don't go numb by the time you've gone up and down a couple of flights of stairs your living large. Or this gives all of the roadies a break. Ok, I carry my own gear but it's paid for. A variax it will be. Kev, can I borrow yours when you get it? :wink: Check out the sound samples at line6, I'm sold.

Thanks guys

Especially Blueird and Seth. Seth looks like he is stuck in a DO LOOP ???
A pity bluebird didn't have some inside knowledge on the acoustic version.

I've got to get my hands on one to check out. Live use mainly BUT I think ... like the POD and AmpFarm ... it will have some use in recording
... background recording and ideas chasing or where the acoustic space or noise is a problem.

If anyone gets some first hand knowledge please jump in.

As a new product I have to be careful not to get caught in a price change scenario.

Back