a new Guitar product for the sceptics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why would anyone in their right mind want to use any Line 6 gear in a live application? if you're going to play for people, give them something good to listen to.

Ask Gerry Leonard, guitar player on the Bowier tour this summer. The night I saw him he had 11,000 people in his bedroom. And he gave them something good to listen to. But he's a genius and he can get a great sound out of whatever you give him to play through, a Variax or a Champ. There are plenty of forty year old guys in their bedrooms with Marshalls, too.

Maybe the title shouldve been, a guitar product not for the sceptics :grin: that being said. Ive only heard the cheap POD style line 6 stuff, and that was awfull, so Im probably on the skeptics side.

Gustav

he can get a great sound out of whatever you give him

Aha!

Therein lies the ultimate point of this argument. A good player almost always sounds good no matter what they're playing with. The big truth in all of this is that good tone starts in the fingers. Gear is secondary. And that's coming from someone obsessed with gear! :green:

Nacho-those M-80's were awesome little amps. Loud as hell! Ugly too, IMHO, with that grey carpet and those red knobs.

Zach

[quote author="SPG"]A good player almost always sounds good no matter what they're playing with. The big truth in all of this is that good tone starts in the fingers.[/quote] On another recording forum, they say, "It all starts with the pick. Meaning that if the playing is crappy, the sound is gonna be crappy.

KEV: I know why you don't often start topics now! :green:

Nacho: I saw on your sight that you have done Rod Laver's recordings...:thumb: (A humble bow of respect towards Nacho!)

Peace!

[quote author="W.H. London"]I'm sorry but I can't believe that this is even a topic. it's total crap.
granted, Line 6 has its place... in 40 year old mens bedrooms who don't gig.[/quote]

The 40 year olds that don't gig anymore or chose there gigs more wisely already have the real things in there bedrooms and in there kitchens and out in the garage and in the hall cupboard.

Being over 40 may just mean we have some income and have time to build a collection of the real stuff. I'm not going to use it on stage anymore and put it at risk. I'm not going to loan it to some crap little upstart ... like I used too ... to prance around on stage and bust it.

Some of US have been in the game for years and have seen much come and go. Does anyone remember a band called Boston and some guitar rack equipment that was the best that could ever be. :wink:

Yeah I'm one of the biggest sceptics ... and I scratched over V-drums and DDrums before deciding there was merit if you could get a system at less that half the retail price. A great tool for pre-production.
Pre-production ... that's a word that old people use to describe something that is done before you go on stage .... err ... the young lads still at school might call it homework.

As I said I'm such a sceptic and the virtual capo tuning thing just leaves me wondering how the hell would I go about achieving something like that.

If it can keep the punters happy and I don't have to guitar tech 5 guitars while trying to do FOH then it will keep efforts and costs down.

How many of you guys are issued while gigging ??

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"]KEV: I know why you don't often start topics now! :green: [/quote]

correct
I don't start them lightly and you can be sure they will always have something new or something left of centre in them.

gotta luv forums :thumb:

[quote author="SPG"]Nacho-those M-80's were awesome little amps. Loud as hell! Ugly too, IMHO, with that grey carpet and those red knobs.[/quote]

My buddy bought one, and I told him he couldn't use it on stage cause it was too ugly. So we went to the fabric store and bought some dark green Vinyl, and we recovered it and spray painted the knobs silver. From a few feet away it looks awesome!

I'll see if I can find a pict.

redcrossjer.jpeg

^ This was right after we recovered the head, the grey cab was borrowed from another band that was playing that night.

gtrRig.jpg

^ The M-80 looked so awesome it even looks cool in black and white!

I guess this is not the time to start a new thread with another blasphemous idea.

Digidesign in live sound.

venuesys_nws_1426_3604.jpg

I did predict/hint/guess ... whatever ... a few months ago that MOA was about to release a hardware mixing system. I wondered if it would coincide or be related with the M-Audio deal. Doesn't look so. MOA just seems to be using the scatter gun approach.
:sad:
... and I'm about to give in and let my Digi-Rep upgrade me to HD. My Digi-Rep is a very good friend of mine (and was well before becoming a digi-rep ) and is under some pressure ... I think I've given him a hard enough time over the whole AVID/DIGI/HD thing.

AND if I haven't made enough trouble ... how about this,

Bryan Adams ... :shock:
Heaven help me, I'm talking about Bryan Adams

re-type cos I can't get the ctnl-C ctnl-V working ????

"Produced by Bryan and mixed by Bob Clearmountain, 'Room Service' was largely recorded in hotel rooms and backstage whilst Bryan was on tour across Europe over the past two years."

It would be cool to know what gear he chose to cart with him and how many and what type of tracks from the hotel rooms where actually keepers.

What's the point there are already tons of good digital live consoules out there already. Why make another? Are they bringing anything new to the table?

[quote author="nacho459"]Are they bringing anything new to the table?[/quote]

I don't think so.

Only plugs from the TDM system and perhaps the file formats from the PT recorder world.

It's just a very large intergrated system which is fine if you are happy to be with one supplier for the whole system.
I can see people renting this BUT I don't see people buying too many of these.
Will probably be highly priced with no low entry point.

I would much prefer to see one of the CHEAP manufacturers bring a SPLIT system ... Tub and Control panel ... to the market.
Something that is scalable so people don't have to take such a leap to get started.

I'd be keen on even a 01D as an IEM system if it had a remote and detachable control panel on eternet ... or what ever. I think the DMX lighting boys have had some great useful product over recent years and we in audio are left with single purpose overpriced crap ..... or Ultra cheap crap-crap. I like cheap but still I feel many products have been mis-directed.

The 01D was/is the low cost digital unit ???? :roll:

I don't get it, there are already companies like DiGiCo that make intigrated systems with both digital FOH and recording consoles and a dedicated hard disc recorder that can be dumped directly into PT. And those consoules are fricken awesome, if not a little over done. Well, I already have one question for Digidesign at AES.

Max AIR from Euphonix also has a recorder option I think.
http://www.euphonix.com/broadcast/products/max_air/max_air.htm

AVID/DIGI are out for wold domination ... ala Microsoft.
I guess ... :roll:

we went to the fabric store and bought some dark green Vinyl, and we recovered it and spray painted the knobs silver.

That thing looks absolutely badass. A custom shop M-80! Next time, how about going for the tuck-and-roll like an old Kustom?

Digidesign in live sound.

Now you've done it Kev, this thread will go on forever! :twisted:

Zach

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"]Nacho: I saw on your sight that you have done Rod Laver's recordings...:thumb: (A humble bow of respect towards Nacho!)[/quote]

Wow! you've heard of rod laver? (A humble bow of respect towards Mr. Thunder!)

Back