AGAIN : What to Build:Peerless/Altec trafos (NOW WITH PICS)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i´ll probably try to use the 1153 as input to a hamptone style pre and see what happens...will do the same on the output with the 1154 and see how it sounds (if it even works!)

i´ll do this in a couple weeks when my brother arrives with my transistor shipping for the jfet gain blocks i plan to build.

At last!

i used the 1153 with a couple of hjp JFET gain blocks on home designed and etched boards and a power supply which i have to change, and now i have an absolutely fantastic mic pre! i built it into an ugly project box and the interior is really ugly...but the sound is awesome, i split a silver 414 on a male voice and feed my preamp and a hardy M1 to make an accurate comparison, guess what? mine is a bit brighter than the hardy, which i liked for these singer, and the detail...ooooh! i love my preamp. Ah, i also added "harmonics" control, following advice from chrissugar (thanks!) and DI input

Now i have to find an use for the 1154, maybe i´ll test it for mic input too, just to see what happens.

I think the magic i´m hearing is the uniqueness of the transformer.

It´s a shame my pre is sooo ugly...no pics for now, but someday.

damn; sometime in the last month I saw the unit these came from on ebay, and I couldn't remember why it looked familiar.

Glad you got it in use!

Back