Silvas

AGAIN : What to Build:Peerless/Altec trafos (NOW WITH PICS)
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 02:26:22 AM »
i´ll probably try to use the 1153 as input to a hamptone style pre and see what happens...will do the same on the output with the 1154 and see how it sounds (if it even works!)

i´ll do this in a couple weeks when my brother arrives with my transistor shipping for the jfet gain blocks i plan to build.
Camilo Silva F.
Camilo Silva F. Mastering
Chia, Colombia

Silvas

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 11:10:16 AM »
At last!

i used the 1153 with a couple of hjp JFET gain blocks on home designed and etched boards and a power supply which i have to change, and now i have an absolutely fantastic mic pre! i built it into an ugly project box and the interior is really ugly...but the sound is awesome, i split a silver 414 on a male voice and feed my preamp and a hardy M1 to make an accurate comparison, guess what? mine is a bit brighter than the hardy, which i liked for these singer, and the detail...ooooh! i love my preamp. Ah, i also added "harmonics" control, following advice from chrissugar (thanks!) and DI input

Now i have to find an use for the 1154, maybe i´ll test it for mic input too, just to see what happens.

I think the magic i´m hearing is the uniqueness of the transformer.

It´s a shame my pre is sooo ugly...no pics for now, but someday.
Camilo Silva F.
Camilo Silva F. Mastering
Chia, Colombia

EmRR

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 12:12:26 PM »
damn; sometime in the last month I saw the unit these came from on ebay, and I couldn't remember why it looked familiar.  

Glad you got it in use!
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

"I think this can be better. Some kind of control that's intuitive, not complicated like a single knob" - Crusty

"Back when everything sounde