8 Channel, 3U NEVE 1073 completed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I, too, was wandering what transformers I can use here except Carnhills. I happen to have JLM 1:4 mic input so I was thinking that should be good for the input. Not so sure about output though. Will 600:600 work here? Does it have to be gapped? Are Carnhill outputs gapped?

Updated a few of them, yea I'm really liking the #2 in the 2U, made some tweaks to fonts etc, if everything can actually go together like that I'll be very pleased, it's gonna be a freaking tight squeeze though.

neve-mockup-2.jpg

I'm trying to decide what would be the best way to make these:

1) FPE
2) Laser Engrave
3) Silk Screen

I think I'm leaning towards silk screen for a nice authentic look, anyone know how that compares to FPE?

Just thinking about this more and more, I think I'm going to try and add the Trim Pot to this as well. That's gonna mess with my space! Maybe I do need the 3U  ::) Anyone know where the get the grey small Neve knobs?

to be honest you really dont need the trim pot.

I've been using the Neve 1073 DPA and Vintech 73 for a while and never had to touch the trim/output knob.

you are recording at 24 bits, its not that important to be as close to 0dbs as was in the 16bits era. 5dbs steps is quite enough.

like madriaanse said in a lot of posts, why do you want to put something in the signal way that can degrade the sound if your really don't need it?

That is a good point... The idea is more so that you can drive the transformers hard and get some nice saturation and grit out of them. I'll still have to decide, but might just do without it for the sake of ease in the build, it's already going to be enough adding the Go Between.

Another update, I think these work better with the knobs on the top and the switches on the bottom. Gonna have to have some really tall risers for the PCBs. I'm ordering a Go Between soon so I'll be able to check all these things out. I'm not sure if they reflected switches will work on the right while they are upside down, we'll see.

neve-mockup-2u.jpg

just a question : don't you slightly modify the N*eve logo??(the N in the circle seem to be bent/roundish a bit , no??)
BTW knob on top and logo centered on top  is beautiful!

zachs said:
That is a good point... The idea is more so that you can drive the transformers hard and get some nice saturation and grit out of them. I'll still have to decide, but might just do without it for the sake of ease in the build, it's already going to be enough adding the Go Between.

ohh, oki. Now I get it. It's quite usefull if you need saturation out of the preamp, so that you distort the preamp and use the trim so that you don't clip the AD, is that right?

need to try that at the studio actually, when I want to distort preamps I always go for the SSL desk pres (E series) , just because I'm used to it and I really like the way they distort. Don't even now why I never tried to saturate the Neve or Vintech just to see what happens.
thanks

RedNoise: I redrew it quickly because I didn't have it in vector yes. There are a few different versions of it throughout the years too.

Whoops: Yea that's why I was thinking of doing that, not that you use it all the time, but if you're paying that kind of money for that coveted iron, you might as well get the most out of it that you can. The problem though is finding a place for the pots and knobs, it doesn't really work well in the 2U. I'm still undecided.

I'm working on a 1U 4 channel FPE layout for Martin's 1290s.  I'll post it when I get it done.  Obviously, the JLM Go Between board won't fit so I'm scrapping the pad and putting in the phase and +48 switches manually.  I'm debating a JLM DI.

Whoops: I'm sure you can do something like that. You can probably get it to bypass the pot but you'll be adding a little something extra to the circuit.

buschfsu: You can order them from Brent Averill, just sent them an email asking for pricing. Make sure you specify 1/4" shaft.

zachs said:
buschfsu: You can order them from Brent Averill, just sent them an email asking for pricing. Make sure you specify 1/4" shaft.

What about diysurplus like is mentioned in the BOM aren't they supplying the Knobs anymore?

I'm not sure if those are the actual Marconi knobs or the red ones like in Martin's finished case...

Mushy: Sounds cool, hopefully it's not too tight in the 1U.

I'm closer to deciding on a final design for mine. I think I'm going to ditch the Go Between and save the cost/hassle of it, and just try and wire in a little phase switch since I probably don't need the pad. All of the boards are correctly spaced now and everything seems positioned nicely.

If I can I'm going to ditch the thumb screws and attach the panel another way.

neve-mockup-final.jpg

just a newbie question,

I've seen a lot of people using companies logos in ther DIY stuff, Like the SSL logo and Neve logo.

Can you really do that? aren't the Neve and the SSL logo's registered since they are trademarks?
Shouldn't we avoid to do that?

sorry if it's a dumb question

I would say you can do whatever you want for your own personal use, as long as you're not selling things commercially for money and not trying to pass it off as the real thing.

Here are some questions Martin has answered for me for anyone else who might need them.

DPDT for Phase: Mouser #108-0010-EVX
Bigger Power Transformer for 4 channels: Digikey: Amveco TE62085-ND
PCB/Part Dimensions: 3.75" wide 1.25" tall

Latest posts

Back