8 Channel, 3U NEVE 1073 completed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, finally getting around to sourcing these parts. A bit of confusion for me... The trim pot next to the 2N3055 (output bias, right?) is marked LOG on the board. But the digikey part on the BOM does not say anything about being LOG... Nor does the datasheet, unless I missed it.  Is there a reason you want a log trimpot for this? Or is this a misprint? Or did I miss something?

Thanks!

4toes said:
does anyone know how you would wire a phase and pad for this build?
is there a kit somewhere, or is it easy enough to do it myself?

JLM Go Between Kit

Or

Igor preamp input board Kit

those are the best options in my opinion.

Hey Martin, thanks for the reply.. Can you confirm if it's an ordinary linear Tpot or, in fact, LOG? I don't live in the states so won't be ordering from Digikey... I found all the resistor values and caps, and (I think) this is the last thing missing..

ALSO, I saw that my board is v2.0 (got it from a member here, he must have had it for a while)... does this make any difference besides with the output fader? The instructions on how to connect one look a bit different (looks like I'd have to cut a trace to add the fader?? )

thanks!

mitsos said:
The trim pot next to the 2N3055 (output bias, right?) is marked LOG on the board. But the digikey part on the BOM does not say anything about being LOG...

Hi Mitsos.

Its a 25 turn 5k regular trim pot (multiturn). The BOURN on the BOM is the right one. Dosent really mather for a trim pot if its log or linear.

Hubert

Hello i am looking into making the 1073 as my first project, but as i am a student i wanted to know how much the total would be for a 2CH 1073/1290, before ordering the PCB's. Pice would be in £'s preferably.

Regards
Sam

nflame13 said:
Hello i am looking into making the 1073 as my first project, but as i am a student i wanted to know how much the total would be for a 2CH 1073/1290, before ordering the PCB's. Pice would be in £'s preferably.

Regards
Sam

Hi Sam welcome to the forum.

The best thing for you should be download the different BOM's (Bill of Materials list), and do a rough check on the different parts, and prices in Europe and the UK.
you can get the 12Pos Switch, input and Output transformers from Audio Maintenance.
The rest of the Parts get them from Farnell.

As this is your first post and you are new to the forum, I advise you to read the full thread from the beginning to end,
like myself and everyone else did.

hope I could help you

Sam,  welcome to the forum. If you want to build pro quality audio gear this is the place. Not knowing your level of experience I will assume that by "first project" you mean first project ever and therefore a beginner? If so I advise against a 1073. That is first an expensive project and second not many here have done a finished 1073 so you have almost no one to fall back on for questions.

However the EZ1290 (preamp of the 1073 without EQ) is much cheaper and I believe could be done by a beginner but....I would start with something simpler and cheaper. One 1290 would set you back about 250 BPDs. Something like the Green pre would cost around 50 BPDs.

Please don't get offended if I am implying beginner and you are not as its only a guess. People here are very helpful for the most part and will recommend projects so that you succeed and have a great experience in DIY. That is what gives you the push to go on to other projects.

Again welcome and enjoy.

Jim

Hey. quick silly question semi-regarding the 1290's. Doe's anyone know where to get those sticky cable tie things that you can attach to the side of a chassis? Like, they're really useful for organizing cables, but I can't find anything when I search "sticky cable tie thing" in Mouser! haha.

Hi thanks bluzzi and whoops for answering my question, As for the project being to hard i should be ok. I am skilled at soldering, surface mount rework and very fine pitch components. And pratically there has been nothing yet i havnt be able to do. This is because i used to build ultrasonic thickness gauges for a company called cygnus instruments here in the uk. This was where i learnt 90% of my skills but unfortunatley i was just soldering and assembling, with some fault finding and repairs. So my theory of electronics has much to be desired and this is something i want to improve on, as i was only using work instructions to build products, which is simple enough, but i didint know the exact going ons in side the circuits! ;D I am studying Audio engineering at SAE london and want to put my practical skills to good use and develop them for later on in my carrer in studios! I hope this project goes well for me it looks fantastic i cant wait to get started!

Are farnell the best suppliers here? I know of RS CPC Farnell and Rapid, but im not sure who is the cheapest? Is digi-key any good?

I have just ordered 2 boards does any one have the most recent and up to date Components list and assembly guide? i see there have been a few versions and wanted to get the most up to date??

Sorry that my question arnt to project specific!

Any help will be really appreciated!

Regards
Sam

nflame13 said:
Is digi-key any good?

I have just ordered 2 boards does any one have the most recent and up to date Components list and assembly guide? i see there have been a few versions and wanted to get the most up to date??

Digikey is excellent. I've had great service from them.

There aren't very many changes between old and new revisions. New has 470 35v cap's on rails...instead of 470 25v(this includes lead spacing differences)....and greyhill switch doesn't need to be cut...that's about all i can see?

Got 4 old and 4 new here.

danjpiscina said:
Hey. quick silly question semi-regarding the 1290's. Doe's anyone know where to get those sticky cable tie things that you can attach to the side of a chassis? Like, they're really useful for organizing cables, but I can't find anything when I search "sticky cable tie thing" in Mouser! haha.

Are these the ones you are asking for?

http://www.banzaieffects.com/KC-04J-Cable-Clip-pr-26200.html

http://www.banzaieffects.com/KC-06J-Cable-Clip-pr-26201.html

(this shop is in Germany)

nflame13 said:
hem for later on in my carrer in studios! I hope this project goes well for me it looks fantastic i cant wait to get started!

Are farnell the best suppliers here? I know of RS CPC Farnell and Rapid, but im not sure who is the cheapest? Is digi-key any good?

Sam,
all the documents you need are in the first post of this thread by Madriaanse.
To complement that you should read the full thread, that will help you a lot understanding the project.
It helped me a lot.

In the UK you can also try Maplin, they are everywhere and have most of the basic stuff also.

Whoops said:
danjpiscina said:

Are these the ones you are asking for?

http://www.banzaieffects.com/KC-04J-Cable-Clip-pr-26200.html

http://www.banzaieffects.com/KC-06J-Cable-Clip-pr-26201.html

(this shop is in Germany)

YES!!!! thanks. it's funny how such simple, useful things can be so hard to find. cheers!

Dan.

Just powered up one channel & tried it out with a few different mics, this pre sounds fantastic , even tried it with a cheapo T Bone Ribbon mic which cost £50 ;D Doesn't even need much gain, plenty on tap here. It also likes my knackered old Sennheiser MD441D as well! What a great larger than life sound especially on bass frequencies :eek: Thanks to Madriaanse for all his hard work for making this possible ;D

Just got to install Igors DI 48V Pad & do the other channel, although the crap Maplin 1U case I got has the inside dimensions probably too small for the VTB1148 narrow version of the output transformer ??? Might need to get another case? :'(

Hi everyone just need to clarify some thing about this 1290 .I have no need for a mic pre  but i was wondering could i just connect  the vtb 9046 instead of the one been use for the input .

Would this be a straight swap ,or do i have to change some componets

regards

skal1

hey madriaanse 

i'm new here...  just wanted to say i'm really impress by your work ...  i wanna try to make one preamp to see if i'm abble to make it work...  i sent u a mail to know if it's possible for you to sell me a PCB (if u still have some of course) or send me via mail the draw of the board....  i can of course send you the price you asked via paypal .. just give me the informations..
my mail is:      sgenevay (at) free (dot)  fr
I can't wait to start this interesting work :)))))

thhhxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
regards

Sylvain

I received 2 boards about 2 weeks ago now im back from holiday i cant wait to get started the boards look spotless and are of a fantastic quality!
Thanks Martin!

A quick question on Digi key how much more will they charge for the components to the uk?? do you have to pay VAT or any extra?

Regards
Sam

If you go to the digikey UK website;

http://dkc1.digikey.com/uk/digihome.html

and order from there.... the prices are in pounds and include all your VAT and import duties (and freight if you order enough).....

The stuff comes by UPS about 3-4 days later....

It is just as though you had ordered it from a UK based company.... really easy (that is my experience of Digikey anyway)

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Latest posts

Back