8 Channel, 3U NEVE 1073 completed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Martin,

In answering someone elses question, I just reminded myself that I hadnt grounded through 10r... I think this might be the cause of the problem.

I thought I had done everything as per the instructions, but then I remembered this! I'll update the results as soon as I can. Sorry to be a plumb!

Jake

redmojosteve said:
Hi Martin
The PCB's arrived today and they are superb! Thank you very much!
I need to save up some money for the transformers now and search the thread for details of appropriate power supply information which will enable me to supply 4 boards and will be mounted externally. Or at least that is my current thinking.
Steve

I think you could use the SSL9K PSU board.
you can buy it from gustav in the white market

Concerning c9 in BA 283AV, does anyone know if Digi-Key part # 490-3676-ND is a suitable substitute for #P4925 which is no longer stocked?

It is a 100pf 50V ceramic mono capacitor.

C9 is a polystyrene cap...not ceramic. You can find some of these in the specialty capacitor area at Mouser.

EDIT: Pretty much ALL of those pf cap's are styrene's. 'cept the termination cap for the input transformer and obviously the tantalums/electro's.

Then is the BOM incorrect?

Here is the part# listed in the BOM (from Digi-Key catalog)

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?lang=en&site=US&WT.z_homepage_link=hp_go_button&KeyWords=P4925-ND&x=16&y=15

Hi Guys, Sorry for the confusion; please be sure to use the latest, updated BOM, available for download at the first post of this thread:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=22828

Best,

M.

Received 2 EZ1290 boards today. They look very nice. I will order parts tomorrow, now that the confusion over the BOM is settled, and hope to have 2 working preamps in a few weeks.

Thanks Martin.

Hi Everyone,

I've just updated a bunch of stuff in my first post on this thread (page 1). Please be sure to download the latest assembly instructions and BOM as a bunch of parts have become obsolete. I also recommend reading the FAQ at the bottom of my first post.

Best,

M.

madriaanse said:
Hi Everyone,

I've just updated a bunch of stuff in my first post on this thread (page 1). Please be sure to download the latest assembly instructions and BOM as a bunch of parts have become obsolete. I also recommend reading the FAQ at the bottom of my first post.

Best,

M.

Hi Martin,
great updates, The FAQ is something that is really useful and will prevent the same questions to appear over and over again.

I would like to ask you just one thing, is it possible that you could modify you Trim fader pdf, so that a newbie can clearly know where to connect the shield of the cable (from pcb to fader).

thanks a lot for all your dedication to this project

Hi Martin,

I've almost finished my unit using the 1st BOM, with carbon film resistors but without polystyrene, but I still have to buy C9, C10 and the one on the transfo. Should I take ceramic mono caps like the 1st BOM, or should I get polystyrene.
Is there a big sound difference with the polystyrenes ? Should I change all my mono ceramics ?

Thanks,

Ben.

Hi Ben,

You'll be totally fine with Ceramic. I have updated the original (and added a metal film BOM) due to continued prodding to be even more authentic and the fact that some parts went obsolete. You basically can't go wrong either way IMHO.  :)

Take care,

M.

Thanks a lot Martin !
Just to know for futur project : is there a big difference of sound with the polystyrene caps ?
Best,

Ben.

I don't think so, but I have not done any stringent testing. My mic pres (with ceramic) definitely hold their ground next to a well maintained set of originals. Using Polystyrene definitely will not hurt though.

M.

so ive been usin the ez1290 for a few weeks now and it sounds great.
................but it only works properly if i run my soundcards inputs (m-audio delta 1010) at +4dB. if i run them at -10dB i have to turn the input gain up about 3/4 and it sounds extremly distorted...  its fine for when im recording at my studio at +4db but wen i took it to my mates studio it was reacting the same way it was at -10dB ...he has the m-audio delta 44 and its slightly difrent in that u select the +4dB/-10dB on the software control panel (on the 1010 its a switch on the 1u rack).........but changing it to +4 didnt help......i still had to turn the input up 3/4ish to register any sound on the soundcard ins, and by then it sounds extremly tinny and very distorted and i could evan hear the audio from the rack itself! im guessing because im clipping the crap out ofthe neve..........is there a way i can get this rack to work at -10dB and run smoothly on other souncards?

any help wud be awsome, cheers

My guess is that you have a problem with your interconect. (xlr to 1/4?)
The ez1290 have so much gain that you should clip your soundcard  way before the preamp. +4 on the 1010 should be the same as +4 on the delta44.

Hub

Hi
I'm about to finish a pair of 1290, I will put them in a 2U rack.
Am I going into problems if I put some 312 boards in the same rack, sharing the same psu? I've build a powerstation with the 6A bridge.

Back