8 Channel, 3U NEVE 1073 completed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello

For constructional purposes, I would like to move the input transformers pretty close toeach other, as in attached picture.. would that be a problem?

Cheers

Erik

Attachments

• wired 45.JPG
    wired 45.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 119
On 8 tracks preamps.... i assume that input preamps are closer from each other..... i didn't have any problem with that...
there is 2,5cm (0,984") between all my input preamps....
for me it looks ok...

Sylvain

letterbeacon said:
erikb1971 said:
HI All

Iam nearing completion of my 2 channel 1290 + gobetween + JLM DI.

This is pretty much exactly the same as what I'm planning to build.  Do you have the front panel dimensions handy so I can see how far apart the Go Between and the DI have to be from the 1290 PCB?

Is it ok to have the ribbon cable that goes from the DI to the Go Between so long?  It's an unbalanced signal, right?  Is there a risk of it picking up any unwanted noise?

I have a frontpanel express file of the design on the previous page, If you want to I can mail that to you. I also have a word file with all  hole diameters and distances between them, hapy to share that too of course (happy that I can finally do something for someone after been helped so often).
The ribbon cables are the length that were provided with the go between / DI kits. Haven't thought about the cable length though... no clue about that... maybe someone else has a clue about that?

Let me know if you want the files as pm or mail.

Erik

eheheheh i just said the the more space there is between them... the better it is of course.... (i think)
but mine are 0,984" from each other and there is no pb with that:
have a look on it on the pictures i have post page .... 37 i guess
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=22828.720

Sylvain

hahaha.. thank you... I can widen the space to about 7 cm.. so I should be safe... that looks like an impressibe build... especially after struggling for weeks with my humble two channel...

thx u... but there is no real difference between 8 and 2 channels... same problems, same enigmas, same questions about positions and spacings.....  just 4x longer to do... that's all. And if u look well i didn't dare to use fet DI (maybe I should have try ?)  but i really dunno where i would have place it...
Hope your project will work fine...  soon touching graal ;) eheheh  ...

Sylvain

Hi everyone. I posted here a few weeks ago with some problems I was having with the PS fuse blowing. I put the ACDC on nylon standoffs and it works great now :).

So I've tested the first channel and everything sounds good except my phantom power isn't working. The LED comes on and I hear a popping noise when I turn the switch on and off but it doesn't seem to power any mics. This is my first project, so I'm a bit of a newbie. Anyways I not sure if I wired it correctly so here's a link to some pictures of it. Hopefully you can give me some insight. Thanks!

http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad32/themedication/EZ1290/

punkrocker said:
Hi everyone. I posted here a few weeks ago with some problems I was having with the PS fuse blowing. I put the ACDC on nylon standoffs and it works great now :).

So I've tested the first channel and everything sounds good except my phantom power isn't working. The LED comes on and I hear a popping noise when I turn the switch on and off but it doesn't seem to power any mics. This is my first project, so I'm a bit of a newbie. Anyways I not sure if I wired it correctly so here's a link to some pictures of it. Hopefully you can give me some insight. Thanks!

It may seems a stupid question but : did you check your +48V on the ACDC rail ?

evilcat said:
punkrocker said:

It may seems a stupid question but : did you check your +48V on the ACDC rail ?

No question is a stupid question I appreciate all the help I can get ;D. By check it do you mean test it with a Multi-meter? I did test it and it measured +48.0v on the dot.

what does it measure on the XLR pins?

Also, if your ACDC was blowing on metal standoffs it can only be because something was accidentally something to the case via them. i would double check nothing can short to the case because that could be dangerous.

snipsnip said:
what does it measure on the XLR pins?

Also, if your ACDC was blowing on metal standoffs it can only be because something was accidentally something to the case via them. i would double check nothing can short to the case because that could be dangerous.

XLR pins are measuring like 1.7 volts. Not sure if I measured it correctly, I'm supposed measure between pin 1/pin2 and pin1/pin3 correct? Sorry for the newbishness. I just had an idea. Is the on/off switch for the phantom power supposed to be situated so that on is up and off is down or vice versa? I might have it upside down and therefore my wiring is backwards.

I don't think anything is shorting, I used all plastic standoffs and screws. What's the best way to check if something would be shorting? Again, sorry for my lack of knowledge.

i meant was there some connection that was previously hitting the leg and shoring to case that may now short directly to case with a knock?

The acdc should not short with metal standoffs.

Anyway, with phantom.. the switch can be either way, its just a toggle thats connected in one position and disconnected in the other. What do you measure at the connections to your switch?

If youve got 48v on the +48 pin of the power XLR, try measuring at each connection after that and see where it goes wrong.

BTW - it looks like you are isolating the only NON conductive part on your resitsors. you really need to isolate all your connections a lot better.

I dunno man, depending on the stand offs... ive never gotten metal standoffs to work properly with either version of the power supply.  Every one of them shorted.  Ive had to use nylon standoffs on all my JLM PS's. And once its up on all 4 legs, unless it falls off it's not going to hit anything.

Even if you use plastic standoffs...the nut/screw combination will probably still make. That's why that connection is there...to make to case, as labelled on the pcb.

So...what is the real problem? I would think it might be wiring somewhere along the line? It's important to find out exactly why something is happening...otherwise there's still doubt in your mind, even if the facts state otherwise.

true.... it has to be linked to the case anyway..... with metal standoffs or with wire....  nylon standoffs are for me just a way to avoid the real problem which is still here...
and just a question... after a fast view of your picture... (i think) there is a lot of stripped wires (dunno the exact english word but i'm sure u understand me...)
are u sure there isn't a shortcut somewhere else with all that ?....

snipsnip said:
i meant was there some connection that was previously hitting the leg and shoring to case that may now short directly to case with a knock?

The acdc should not short with metal standoffs.

Anyway, with phantom.. the switch can be either way, its just a toggle thats connected in one position and disconnected in the other. What do you measure at the connections to your switch?

If youve got 48v on the +48 pin of the power XLR, try measuring at each connection after that and see where it goes wrong.

BTW - it looks like you are isolating the only NON conductive part on your resitsors. you really need to isolate all your connections a lot better.

Hi snipsnip.

So I fully isolated both resistors as you said and success +48v! BUT, it is still not powering any microphones that I test. Here's a picture so you can see what I'm doing.
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad32/themedication/EZ1290/IMG_0847.jpg
I'm not sure how it's getting +48v but it doesn't power the mic? Maybe you or someone else has some ideas?

sgenevay said:
true.... it has to be linked to the case anyway..... with metal standoffs or with wire....  nylon standoffs are for me just a way to avoid the real problem which is still here...
and just a question... after a fast view of your picture... (i think) there is a lot of stripped wires (dunno the exact english word but i'm sure u understand me...)
are u sure there isn't a shortcut somewhere else with all that ?....

When you say it has to be linked to the case, are you saying there must be a piece of wire that goes from the hole that says case on the ACDC to the rack case? I wasn't sure about this so I haven't done it yet. Did I make a mistake and do I need to connect it?

Latest posts

Back