8 Channel, 3U NEVE 1073 completed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the strongest diy psu you could possibly get?

Otherwise, is there a better pre-built solution / market product offering enough juice to power four units properly within the case?

Great  :D!!  TS Cables did the trick!  Ill look into the DI boxes a little more too....I should get a few eventually but for now I think this is fine.  Thanks guys!

travis said:
Great  :D!!  TS Cables did the trick!  Ill look into the DI boxes a little more too....I should get a few eventually but for now I think this is fine.  Thanks guys!

Cool :)

I'm not sure if you have mic preamps or line amps? If it is a mic amp and has phantom power: Leave the cable shield unconnected to the TS plug since if you connected both xlr pin 1 and pin 3 to the TS plug shield you'll shortcircuit your phantom supply if you accidentally put the phantom on with XLR > TS cable connected to the mic input!

Should be:
XLR pin 1 > not connected on the TS plug
XLR pin 2 > TS plug tip
XLR pin 3 > TS plug "shield"

If it is a mic preamp (no dedicated line input with proper input impedance for line level sources) you should be using DI boxes synths and stuff anyway. Check out for example BO Hansen DI, you can buy PCB's and the transformer from White Market.

you'll shortcircuit your phantom supply if you accidentally put the phantom on with XLR > TS cable connected to the mic input!

Yikes!! :eek: Thanks for the warning....It does have phantom and Im sure I would have done exactly that at some point!!

I just bought some pre-made cables and pin 1 and 3 are jumpered going to TS sleave.  I cant even fix them because they are single conductor shielded.  Doh!  Should have just made my own based off of Fig. 13 in Rane diagram which is exactly what you describe.

If it is a mic preamp (no dedicated line input with proper input impedance for line level sources) you should be using DI boxes synths and stuff anyway. Check out for example BO Hansen DI, you can buy PCB's and the transformer from White Market.

I was looking forward to a DIY vacation 8)!  Just kidding, that looks like a project I could manage that doest cost that much.  Have you made one? 

travis said:
Yikes!! :eek: Thanks for the warning....It does have phantom and Im sure I would have done exactly that at some point!!

I just bought some pre-made cables and pin 1 and 3 are jumpered going to TS sleave.  I cant even fix them because they are single conductor shielded.  Doh!  Should have just made my own based off of Fig. 13 in Rane diagram which is exactly what you describe.

Yeah Fig 13 is correct. I'm actually not sure what would happen still if you have the cable right. Both xlr pin 2 and 3 would have the +48V so basically your phantom supply could still burn since it would be dumping current to the synth output ground potential?

... Have you made one?

Not just one but two. They work as advertised.

Atticmike:

I got the JLM powerstation (the big one) and am running 4 channels off the one PS.  Only problem was, my case was too small and i was getting noise on 2 of the channels where the PS was close to, so i broke the PS out and put it in another box.  If my case was about 6" deeper I could have done it all in 1 HUGE unit. 

Also, i stacked my pres, 2 channels left/2 channels right

its the 3rd unit down in this pic.
309008_248373848549544_233521766701419_619320_1530445758_n.jpg

Yeah Fig 13 is correct. I'm actually not sure what would happen still if you have the cable right. Both xlr pin 2 and 3 would have the +48V so basically your phantom supply could still burn since it would be dumping current to the synth output ground potential?

hmmm, bummer.  yes it goes to both 2 and 3.  Any other thoughts or options people are using?  Will the Transformer in the DI box have a significant impact on sound?  As much as the mic pre?     

do you think choosing mostly xicon for the resistors was a good idea?

also, what railing options am I supposed to choose ? http://www.whistlerockaudio.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43&products_id=107

And which psu would you choose to power four units? Still the whistlerockaudio or rather prefer the JLM PowerStation Ver. 3 kit along with a 6 amp bridge rectifier?

desol said:
Have you read through this thread Mike?

Yes I did. I simply lack some basic knowledge which I've gone clean with on the drawing board section. Feel free to help me out :D

My habit of nitpicking in every corner to prevent the worst doesn't necessarily lead to a good outcome without me, connecting the basic dots.

also what's your opinion on 1/4 watt xicon resistors?

cause with the original bom I took everything xicon that was declared mouser.

Most of em are Yageo now. What's the impact?

Read that carbon was more true to the original sound despite neve having used metal film resistors for once as well.

Haven't placed my mouser order yet with the xicon, just got the digikey parts from the original list which prolly haven't changed to the updated version.

Whereby the capacitors have gone significantly cheaper with the update bom:

Original: http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/MAL202135151E3/4018PHCT-ND/263242

Updated: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?x=15&y=14&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=P10196-ND+

but then for a few, they have gone ceramic instead of poly:

Original: http://de.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Xicon/23PS110/?qs=VbcEA1k3avOWJgTVfPRUDg%3d%3d

Updated: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=P4925-ND+

Here, I gotta say that poly caps look a tad more inviting due to a longer lasting lifetime which can plunge with ceramic due to humidity & temperature dramatically.

Anyways, I'd like to know your standpoint on the Yageo because I'll be ordering overseas from digikey and there a few things I can't get from mouser would be a lot more comfortable picking it up at digi right away along with the resistors.

Mike

also, at voltage does a neve 1073 run? I need to know this for ordering the right rail setting on my whistlerock purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

sr1200 said:
24v + only (no negative rail needed) and 48v is needed if you want phantom. (all on the first page)

with you rather second for the jlm 6a or whistlerock's for each 4 units?

For 4 units you will only need one of the JLM AC/DC's.  Go for a 6A Powerstation if you want, but it won't matter.
Whistlerock doesn't seem to mention current specs on their PS, but I'm sure it will be fine.  4 x 1290's will only need about 500mA, so double that for safety and anything putting out 1A or more should be fine.  I'm all for over spec'ing PS, but I can't really see how over spec'ing that much will help.

As others have said, make sure you read this thread.  The PS options for these pres have been covered in depth, in every option from 1 unit up to racks of 8.  Madriaanse himself covered it in the beginning.

Alistair said:
For 4 units you will only need one of the JLM AC/DC's.  Go for a 6A Powerstation if you want, but it won't matter.
Whistlerock doesn't seem to mention current specs on their PS, but I'm sure it will be fine.  4 x 1290's will only need about 500mA, so double that for safety and anything putting out 1A or more should be fine.  I'm all for over spec'ing PS, but I can't really see how over spec'ing that much will help.

As others have said, make sure you read this thread.  The PS options for these pres have been covered in depth, in every option from 1 unit up to racks of 8.  Madriaanse himself covered it in the beginning.

I've just had a chat with Mike from whistlerock and he said that the unit is based on the 317/337 adjustable regulator and can shoot up to 1.5A max for each rail which simply sounds fantastic to me.

Going by the specs, I def recommend the whistlerock board over any other!

Notably, the exception being the +48V phantom voltage rail, which can supply up to about 700mA. This however still exceeds the JLM specs.

As you've said before, I'd be probably good with either psus but honestly, I'll be taking the one with the most output  8)

Mike out

Hi,

last night I fired up my build the first time and on one channel i smoked the
12R 1W resistor (the one near the +24V power input).

Any quick hints where to look at?

Now first I'll buy some new... :)
ROCK-ON!

yeeeep... i did the same thing. You may have shorted the phantom power.  I replaced the resistor but there's something still a bit off on mine, I'm going to start replacing parts on that channel after xmas chaos is past us.  Ill let you know if I find the other "culprit".

The channel still "works" after replacing the resistor, just every once in a while im getting a nasty drop out with some static for a couple seconds... may just be a cold solder or something from when i took out the charred remains of the old one.  And theres no problem with it when using a ribbon or dynamic mic.

Latest posts

Back