8 Channel, 3U NEVE 1073 completed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I replaced The 2N3055 and still no voltage in that section.  Checked and rechecked all solder joints, clean as a whistle.  I even disconnected the input and output transformers just to see if those were doing something weird (I've had 1 bad input trafo before, but it only caused audio hum and buzz).

Edit - ARGH!!  I forgot the make the pin 2-pin 4 links on the output transformer!!  I had no idea this would completely kill that entire section!!

:eek:

Edit - ARGH!!  I forgot the make the pin 2-pin 4 links on the output transformer!!  I had no idea this would completely kill that entire section!!

8)  did you get it going then?

I've been burning my channel with issues for several hours, and cannot duplicate the fault. 

I hate these mystery issues.

Voltages are great now, but no audio on either channel.  Clearly it's something else I've made a mistake on.

Looking at the schematic though, it shows that the LO1166 is in that BA183AM section, so I should have known better.

Still working away...

Siegfried Meier said:
Voltages are great now, but no audio on either channel.  Clearly it's something else I've made a mistake on.

Looking at the schematic though, it shows that the LO1166 is in that BA183AM section, so I should have known better.

Still working away...

Are you using a trimmer?  If yes how is it configured, if not do you have the 10K and jumper installed?

Ahhh so simple, I knew it.  I forgot the jumpers on the JLM Go Betweens.  I actually had to pull these out of another preamp that used the JLM DI, since my other Go Betweens didn't show up.  Since the DI attaches with a ribbon connector, the jumpers aren't needed.

So simple... ;D

Can I order an Ah-ha moment as well please?

Wow.. I just got one...

I reported a few posts back that I had way to high voltages on the 24v point of the board and on the 48v... after shutting down the machine and leaving it for a while, they are back to normal after I switch them on!!  BUUTTTT, the levels are slowly rising! As are the measurements of tr1 -6. In the beginning everything is pretty good... but as the 24 volt is climbing up, these measurements are going bad as well! What is going on?

Hi all,

well i finished my build over Christmas, no big problems.
All voltages are nearly matching perfect martin ones.
How are the calibration experience around? I first check and trimmed
the voltage, after that the oscilloscope check showed good results at the
first place.

Great project, thanks a lot martin!

The push knobs were a bit killing me... I did some planing errors on
the front panel layout. But I and the panel survived  ;D

Also the front panel is "special" edition for lead singers
and lead guitarists, both can have channel 1  ;D  ;D  ;D

Up to now I just did a few quick tests, intensive testing has to be done.
Here are some pics of my build.

ROCK-ON!

Attachments

• 1073_005b.jpg
    1073_005b.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 264
The power supply is a Sunpower 48V one
http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/510388/Sunpower-SPS-035-48-Netztm-get-35W/SHOP_AREA_17448&promotionareaSearchDetail=005

Plus a additional little RC-Filter and a JLM TREX to get the 24V for the boards.

JLM has nearly the same one.
http://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=122

No hum, no nothing. I have used these power supplies in a few other racking projects.
I like them... :)

ROCK-ON

Hello,

i just finished two ez1290. One channel works great and sounds even better. The other doesn´t work until now. The BA183NV stages measures fine but the BA183AM is really confusing me. The voltages i read are the following:
            C      B        E
TR1    23.7    0        0
TR2    24      23.7  23.2
TR3    24      23.2  22.8

Should i try to change TR1?

Edit: Sorry guys there´s a sucker born every minute. I just didn´t solder the 2N3055 pins to the PCB. Now everything works as it should.
Thank you so much madriaanse for the boards. Really great work.

Cheers

Hi guys!!!
First of all a big hello for everybody. Really impressed with the website.
Since the moment I crashed on this thread I've been really excited with the whole thing. In the past I had the opportunity to work with neve 1073 and u-87 mics recording a grand piano.... just nice.
The other day I received the boards from Martin. Man, thanks a lot, those are extremely well finished boards, great job man.
Also got the components and started to populate the boards.  Did my ordering to Mouser and Digikey sticking to Martin's bom, very happy when I received the items and saw the quality. You'll never find components like that in Barcelona.
The only thing I couldn't get from Digikey was the KEMET 10uF 25v tantal caps, they have a substitute in Mouser, also manufactured by Kemet, but on the ref instead of ending with AT, ends with AS (i think). All other specs seem to be the same. Do you guys think should I wait or I go for mouser ones???

I've been reading on the JLMGoBetweens... Is it possible to  to add the line/instrument input that the channel strip had? I mean, not like a DI, with the original input transformers. (Read something about it but cannot find the reference).

Well, once again, thanks Martin for this great and extensive project, good work pal.

Martin made a line-level version of this board.  As far as i know, the mic pre board wont take a line level without some serious alterations.

As far as the components go, doesn't matter WHO you order them from, chances are the manufacturer is the same.  Just make sure the components are the correct values.

sr1200 said:
As far as i know, the mic pre board wont take a line level without some serious alterations.

I made some cables with a -40dB pad inside, this worked well.

Attachments

• Pad Line into Mic Amp.pdf
    16.4 KB · Views: 41
Back