8 Channel, 3U NEVE 1073 completed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as i know, the mic pre board wont take a line level without some serious alterations.
If you look at the Neve schematic it is EASY to make a line level input with a switch and a line in transformer.
Basically, the switch changes the input from the mic transformer to the line transformer, through a voltage divider. In the original there were a few voltage divider positions for line (something like -10dB, -5dB, 0dB). I just used a single position for -10dB at the lowest gain setting, if I recall correctly, then the gain switch allows you to increase as needed. So, you need a switch, a line in transformer and a couple resistors.

I would not have done this in retrospect, though - I think there would be a better use for the line input transformer. Running a line level signal does not change the sound in my opinion - unless you plan to use this for make up gain or add an EQ, or do something else necessary.

That's what I thought dr1200, the tantalum caps must be almost the same, I guess that just one number in a 14 number reference is not that bad  ;)

Really never thought about using a DI/micpre to record an instrument Martin, always finish miking an amp. Never saw tube DI's like the one you show on your link either. I'll check that one. ;)

I'll check what dmp says about the schematic and using a line input transformer. I remember using that feature and would like to implement it at least to one channel.

Thanks guys!!!!

Thinking about the Gobetweens for pad and phase... do you think this items could degrade signal quality in any way??? I mean thinking about adding it cos is easy and affordable, but would be a complete NO if that was not good for the signal...

And by the way, I know that condensers are a world and the sound of any effect is subjective blablabla, but....

When schematics show electrolitic caps, just go for correct values and choose best quality brands.

When non polarized low values, like pf, avoid always using ceramics???? Is always better styroflex???

When using nF range non polarized.... poliéster or always better mkt or similar...

When any polarized value in uF range, is always better to use tantal if you can reach the value????

Sometimes I find myself doing simple audio effect circuits and I don't know if designers prefer go cheap or they choosed that caps for specific reasons. Could you say that for audio circuits you should always use certain kind of caps¿¿¿

Sorry if the question is a little upside down, bit like my mind! ;P

If i remember correctly, martin was very specific as to what "kind' of capacitors to use and where and im sure for good reason.  This is DIY, and yes everything is subjective.  Try different caps if you think they'll sound better and let us know the results :) :)

Nops, you misunderstood!!!  ;D
I was not even considering to change the components from this projects, I was speaking generally.
Don't have electronic designs skills at all, so I've strictly sticked to Martin's bom.

Just wanted to know about people's minds on capacitors and audio circuits.

people say they can hear a difference when there are caps in the audio circuit depending on what "type' they are... Ive built 6 channels of these so far with different caps and I don't hear a difference that would cause me to lean toward one type or another.

any objection towards this transformer for four units? http://de.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Triad-Magnetics/VPT48-1040/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuKmRn7rpQYPRSGU26rTs7Qqq%252bTZQYE73M%3d

Have a bad feeling running the recommended toroid transformer at 44 secondary instead the necessary 48.

delir66 said:
Really never thought about using a DI/micpre to record an instrument Martin, always finish miking an amp. Never saw tube DI's like the one you show on your link either. I'll check that one. ;)

Well I was mainly talking about bass and/or keys. You pretty much can't go wrong with the A Designs REDDI, or Avalon U5 through a 1290/1073. For guitar I always mic the amp, unless I'm also recording a DI for reamping.

Best,

M.

If you look at the Neve schematic it is EASY to make a line level input with a switch and a line in transformer.

I ended up making a line to mic level pad in a short length of cable.  Is described here toward the bottom of the page.  http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/

Really easy and its seems to work good!

dmp said:
As far as i know, the mic pre board wont take a line level without some serious alterations.
Basically, the switch changes the input from the mic transformer to the line transformer, through a voltage divider. In the original there were a few voltage divider positions for line (something like -10dB, -5dB, 0dB). I just used a single position for -10dB at the lowest gain setting, if I recall correctly, then the gain switch allows you to increase as needed. So, you need a switch, a line in transformer and a couple resistors.

I would not have done this in retrospect, though - I think there would be a better use for the line input transformer. Running a line level signal does not change the sound in my opinion - unless you plan to use this for make up gain or add an EQ, or do something else necessary.

Thanks for the advise. I'll think it twice beffore adding the extra cost of a line input transformer if it does really not make any difference while recording instruments like a bass.
Anyway... I've been looking for Neve schematics around and found some... Really don't know if there are any different versions. Could you point somewhere to find the neve schematics that match our project and also show the line input as it was????
Thanks a lot.
madriaanse said:
delir66 said:

Well I was mainly talking about bass and/or keys. You pretty much can't go wrong with the A Designs REDDI, or Avalon U5 through a 1290/1073. For guitar I always mic the amp, unless I'm also recording a DI for reamping.

Best,

M.
As a bass player that's exactly what I'm looking for. Cannot go for any of those DI for the moment, I'll be reading to see what's the best way to squeeze the pre while recording bass.
But thanks for the advise, will be taking in mind one of those in the future.

travis said:

I ended up making a line to mic level pad in a short length of cable.  Is described here toward the bottom of the page.  http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/

Really easy and its seems to work good!
Thanks for the add, I'll check this as well and see how does it sound!

sr1200 said:
For a bass wouldnt you want the mic transformer and a DI input... keys a line input.  I've used the Mic pre for bass, and its BAD ASS!!
Never thought about using the mic pre for bass "as is", that's why I was considering about adding a GoBetween DI or doing the original line input. My mind is a bit cloudy, but I can remember recording bass straight into a hired 1073 line in input and getting a nice enormous sound (80' Epiphone EBM active bass).
Also recorded once straight into a universal audio mic pre with comp... great sound as well.
Of course I'll try one of those valve di martin mentioned...
Thanks.

Whistle Rock makes a passive and active DI (might need the passive since the Neve doesnt have the rail for it) but you might be able to integrate that into the unit with a switch.  As for the UA (probably a 610... all tube) INCREDIBLE sound for bass, but the neve has a very distinct flavor to it. If you want a fatter. more round tone, the UA 610, if you want that funky in yo' face tone, Neve (Bootsy swears by his...)

I had a lengthy convo with dave from cinemag once about this. He does have a replacement, and feels that is more colorful than the carnhill. I will be trying one out later this year (hopefully)

I used Cinemags on my build....unbelievable sound....
I have a client who borrowed them for a weekend......6 months ago still using them!!

Really CMMI-2C input.
normal_neve3.JPG

Latest posts

Back