8 Channel, 3U NEVE 1073 completed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, thats what im talking about. I was looking into this just because i wanted to see if anyone had a less colored input tranny and i would use the the EA or carnhill output, or vice versa, just to be different ;D

Does anybody know a substitute for this part?

http://de.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=BC184Cvirtualkey51210000virtualkey512-BC184C

atticmike said:
Does anybody know a substitute for this part?

http://de.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=BC184Cvirtualkey51210000virtualkey512-BC184C

https://sites.google.com/site/diypartsstore/
Best,
Bruno2000

So today I was thinking about the idea of building a preamp in the style of Neve and I start Googling. I find this thread and felt very motivated to sign up at the forum. So this here will be my first post on the forum.  :)
It is very exciting to see so many people build their own pre’s here.

Anyway, I have carefully read and saved the instructions of the guide and I am seriously considering to give this a shot, building the 2 channel pre.

However, I have very little experience with electronics. I know how to assemble a computer and that’s pretty much it.
I’d like to know if I am being realistic for wanting to try building a preamp having no experience. I just get a great vibe from this forum and everyone seems to be so helpful.
Some feedback would be awesome!

Thanks guys

Anything is possible provided you have enough ambition to learn(all the information you need is at your fingertips, literally)
and enough determination to see it through to the end. You have to get the case together, powersupply, parts list for everything, wiring, etc, etc... The frontpanels for this(if you don't want to design your own) can be had from Dan in the white market. It's quite a bit of work and will get frustrating at times, but it is rewarding if you do a good job. + there's just a ton of good info about all kinds of things here.

Here's another link where someone asked a similar question: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=47771.0

For the record... this project was my first.  I did have previous soldering and electronic experience, but nothing on a build from the ground up level.  My advice....
RUN!
Run as fast as you can and as far as you can... once you make one thing, you're going to want to make more and more and more, and soon your work space and living quarters will look like a Radio-Shack or Mouser exploded and PCBs will build up on shelves in a TO DO pile that will NEVER get smaller because as soon as you finish one 2 more take its place...  Pretty soon you'll stop shaving and take on a mountain man appearance and start looking through peoples garbage to find "salvage" parts like transformers, inductors heat sinks, transistors that are no longer manufactured and other seemingly useful things.  You'll start mumbling ohms law at the supermarket trying to see what the voltage would be if the price of potatoes was the current and the price of cantaloupe was resistance.  Then the A&E network comes to your home asking if you would participate on their show "HOARDERS".  Take heed sir! Take heed!

Thanks for the extra push of motivation! :)
I've been reading up on this all day long, using wiki, trying to get an idea of what the components do.
I made some accounts at the webshops too.

My question is, they don't have the following component on Mouser anymore  :

Transistors Bipolar (BJT) NPN 45V 500mA HFE/8
nr: 512-BC184C

Could I replace it with another transistor from this list?
http://www.digikey.nl/product-search/en/discrete-semiconductor-products/transistors-bjt-arrays/1376378?k=Transistors%20Bipolar

Or perhaps I could get it from someplace else? I need 8 of them.

Thanks guys

sr1200 said:
... once you make one thing, you're going to want to make more and more and more, and soon your work space and living quarters will look like a Radio-Shack or Mouser exploded and PCBs will build up on shelves in a TO DO pile that will NEVER get smaller because as soon as you finish one 2 more take its place...

;D ;D ;D
Ohhhh, that is soooo much the truth  ;D ;D ;D Great!!!

ROCK-ON!

PS. Don't forget the music  ;D

Anyone tried these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BC184C-BC184-Transistors-Sinclair-Computers-50-Pack-/260836680462?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3cbb13e30e

Would this be a good replacement for the original?

I believe they are the fairchild BC184C.

I just received my package a few days ago, but haven't opened to confirm 100%.
From what I seen through the package, the stuff printed on the transistor appears to be the same as the fairchilds I have.

The ones I ordered were from Retrocomputers off ebay.

They have the same markings as the fairchild ones I have.

Le Roux said:
I believe they are the fairchild BC184C.

I just received my package a few days ago, but haven't opened to confirm 100%.
From what I seen through the package, the stuff printed on the transistor appears to be the same as the fairchilds I have.

The ones I ordered were from Retrocomputers off ebay.

They have the same markings as the fairchild ones I have.

Just ordered some myself. They have the Fairchild "f" on them, so they can't be to far from the original... Should be the same as far as I can tell.

Closer inspection last night reveals that my original fairchild's have the "f" then BB13 in small hard to read writing next to it, and the ones I ordered have the "f" with BA41 in small next to it.
I tested the hfe, and they averaged around 450, where as all 8 fairchilds I have tested around 300-350.

I do think they're good to go!

Most of the Fairchilds that I got from Mouser before they went away had hfe of 500-600.  I, too, ordered some of these, and will publish the results after I test them all.
Best,
Bruno2000

C4, C6 & C7 (Capacitor Electrolytic 82uF 25V) deviate from the board's indicated 100?

Is it still fine to go with?

Latest posts

Back