8 Channel, 3U NEVE 1073 completed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sent payment for 10 boards!

From the forum most people are using the Carnhill transformers.  Are the Sowters (9145, 9160) for in/out the actual replacement parts Neve uses?    Saw some comments that the Carnhills sound more like the original Neves, but are the Sowters just harder to get/ more pricey?  Maybe I'll do some of each?

not sure about the sowters, but we tried the carnhills against the Ed Anderson transformers from hairball, and couldn't tell a difference in a blind test.
It's in an 8 channel unit, some of each. no problems mix and matching while recording a stereo pair. If the difference is that hard to hear, I'm not sure it bothers me.

mr.fofith said:
Can someone give me a brief rundown on how to wire up a JLM Trex to this?

Hey. Welcome to the forum.

Best thing to do is contact Joe @ JLM. He's very helpful.

powered up my boards without having it sit in the box (without the in & output transformer connected) in order to measure at the testpoints before mounting it and I get really low voltages or nothing at all. If i check the 1W resistor, it's not drawing on the other side, so both sides 24V. Weird, what should I do?

Mike

In order to measure the testpoints, do I have to connect the in and output transformers?

*update*: it's alright, i was stupid.

YAAAA EVERYTHING IS NOW WORKING - - - HERE are some PICS Its A original Neve 1272 card and the Ez1290. . . 2 in 1 SOUNDS GREAT.  Its cool cause I can use them to mix just ran my first mix through it the other day. Makes QUITE A difference. .  Now I just gotta work on getting a second DISTRESSOR HAHAHA. Anyway to the people on this FORM Thank you VERY MUCH for the Help I did have a few problems at first but thanks to a Few individuals I was able to get this up and running. This was my first DIY project EVER like this AND it was a LOT of fun. Martin Thanks for the boards TOOO They are great!!!!

Attachments

• photo-9.jpg
    photo-9.jpg
    873.6 KB · Views: 119
Nice work MrGrinch!! Glad to hear your persistence paid off. Here's to big sounding records! :)

Also wanted to thank Desol and 3nity for sharing all their insights on this thread! I am so glad you're on this forum as I don't have time anymore to answer all these questions myself. I owe you guys a beer or two. :)

Cheers,

Martin

What would be a good replacement for this (unavailable at the moment):

http://no.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=VbcEA1k3avOWJgTVfPRUDg%3d%3d

How about this one?

http://no.mouser.com/ProductDetail/WIMA/FKP2D001001D00JSSD/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrFwgzP98AO9idqD3jXfOTtd8%3d

1290 boards have pretty large lead size, that wima looks like 5mm or so.
Pay attention to what lead size you need!

3nity said:

Thanks, didn't notice that. Should probably be axial.

Can't find any replacement at mouser. Any other good source for polystyrene caps? Without ridiculous shipping costs?

LesPaul said:
3nity said:

Can't find any replacement at mouser. Any other good source for polystyrene caps? Without ridiculous shipping costs?

I ordered mine from ebay, shipment was fast. More expensive than mouer styrenes, but still reasonable..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polystyrene-Styroflex-Capacitor-Made-by-Philips-listing-is-for-2-pieces-/281030302381?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item416eb61aad

sedit1 said:
LesPaul said:
3nity said:

I ordered mine from ebay, shipment was fast. More expensive than mouer styrenes, but still reasonable..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polystyrene-Styroflex-Capacitor-Made-by-Philips-listing-is-for-2-pieces-/281030302381?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item416eb61aad

Hey there, still havent been able to get my first channel working.. Hardly getting any signal from it now at all.. When i tap the front cover it kinda kicks in but then goes.. Also should the gain be EXTREMELY high? On my channel thats working, even when its switched to just the second gain on the switch its practically going in to hot.. Any advice?

Cheers

Did you check your grounds on the channel that isn't working?
If your touching something and it's kicking in and out, it's usually a ground issue.
Solder joints at the switch?

By the way, just finished my two units together with two others (ssl 9k by bruno) in one box. They sound astoundingly great. I couldn't be any happier. Def. my go to kick and snare pre.

leitrim_lad said:
Hey there, still havent been able to get my first channel working.. Hardly getting any signal from it now at all.. When i tap the front cover it kinda kicks in but then goes.. Also should the gain be EXTREMELY high? On my channel thats working, even when its switched to just the second gain on the switch its practically going in to hot.. Any advice?

Cheers

The fact that tapping the unit kind of makes it work really sounds like a loose solder joint somewhere. I would re-heat each and every single solder joint on the PCB as well as the ones on the transformers. Also, how are your voltages compared to my voltage chart on page 1 of this thread?

Gain is 20dB on lowest setting, can you compare to another preamp?

atticmike, congrats! Glad you like them.

M.

Latest posts

Back