8 Channel, 3U NEVE 1073 completed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the eq needs a line level signal, go right out of the back  of the 1290 into the EQ.  I used that jumper area to feed a VU.Also not dealing with a balanced signal there i believe as well, (could totally be off here)

sr1200 said:
the eq needs a line level signal, go right out of the back  of the 1290 into the EQ.  I used that jumper area to feed a VU.Also not dealing with a balanced signal there i believe as well, (could totally be off here)

but the golden age eq 73 has only an "insert" I/O
eq73pic5.jpg

pedroplanet said:
sr1200 said:

but the golden age eq 73 has only an "insert" I/O
eq73pic5.jpg

That might actually work perfectly. Got a schematic for the Golden Age EQ?

SO, here is a very vague question for you all...

some time ago.. like.. almost 2 years.. i bought carnhill output transformers, and jensen input transformers, for 4 channels of 1073-ish preamps.. that i was going to build point to point, on standard fiberglass perf-board.  i have all the caps and resistors as well as a pile of switches, jacks, and even a chassis.  a friend of mine was going to help with this build, but he is missing in action these days.

i know i will have to re-purchase caps that will fit the board..  and maybe switches too.. but im wondering if, in order to get this project underway, there is any reason i shouldn't get the ez1073 pcb's.  getting some new resistors and caps might not be a huge deal.. i just dont want my transformers to go to waste.. if i cant use them (particularly the jensens, not sure that anyone here is using them) then i will try and proceed with the original plan, i dont want to "eat" the  cost of those transformers...

what do you all think?

thanks,

mike

spase said:
you cant take just blank pcbs...you need to get full kits for those ez1073 channels.i would love to get 4 blank ez1073 pcbs...but...

So no one sells a 1073 or 1290 pcb that is not in a kit?

I have four of the jensen "JT-13K7-A" input transformers that i was going to use for a neve-ish preamps that never got built.  Would i be able to use these transformers with an ez1290?

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/13k7a.pdf

Any thoughts on the above transformers?  could they work with a ez1290?  hope everyone had a great new year.

Hey there, those transformers might work. They're pretty close to 10468's 4K8 impedance across the secondary. Will it sound like a Neve? Probably not, but happy accidents can and do happen and it might sound great. If you're not happy with the results you can always sell them on ebay and buy some Carnhills. In any case I would recommend getting some VTB9045's so you have something to compare to.

M.

Hi,

I've been sitting on 4 1290 boards for about 2 years now, and finally getting the gumption to build. I plan on putting all 4 of these in a 3U case. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the parts, and am getting a little lost on the power supply. I've read this giant thread almost 3 times now, and thought I needed to ask the experts for advice.

Here is what I think I need for powering 4 1290 pre's, housing the power supply in a 1U rack case:

1 x JLM Powerstation Kit with optional 6 amp bridge

What power transformer do I need?
Will the transformer in the BOM work?
Do I need different heatsinks?
Any other parts that would differ from the BOM?

I would really appreciate the advice from some of the knowledgeable people on this forum. I'm getting lost on the power supply, as it deviates from the BOM. The BOM calls for a JLM ACDC to power 2 units, but I want to power all 4 with a single power supply. What do I need to make this happen?

I build a 4 ch unit (in a 2U case) with an external PS... id have to look at what i put in there, but if memory serves the torriod was too big for a 1u case
ill open er up and report back

...OK im back, and yes. the torriod wouldnt fit into a 1u chassis.  (well, not the one I got, and not comfortably... maybe if you didnt put a top on the case lol
(and check out the pic... i was SERIOUS about heat sinking lol i dont remember doing that but it was quite funny when i opened the case)

the TX i got was an Avel Lindberg Model Y236351

Attachments

• powersupply41290.jpg
    powersupply41290.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 57
Thanks for the reply!

So, I will amend my plan. I will put the pres in a 2U case, and the power supply in a 2U case.

I plan to use the JLM Power Station.

Is there anything different I need for the pres when using the Power Station rather than the AC/DC kit?

Are the conductive plastic potentiometers that Audio Maintenance sells of any quality or should I look at Alps? I know Martin recommends Penny and Giles, but 4 of those would cost me well over five hundred dollars!

Any conductive plastic pot of the correct value will work. I think it should be audio taper.  I believe i used some bournes pots (weren't cheap but solid built, very similar to what Colin has on his site, those are really nice, but expensive... when it gets down to this level, you certainly get what you pay for!)  Only other suggestion I can give you is if you plan on racking them above/below other DIY gear that have torroids in them, make sure the input/output transformers arent located directly above/below where they would be on the other gear.  Had an issue with one torroid that was causing some buzz (albeit at higher gain settings) but was enough to drive me nuts thinking that the problem was in the 1290, when it was in fact not.

You can also do this:

Attenuator.jpg

Mouser #
271-510-RC
271-470-RC
271-470-RC
271-453-RC
271-453-RC
271-422-RC
271-422-RC
271-390-RC
271-360-RC