8 Channel, 3U NEVE 1073 completed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool, thanks.

with 4 boards in the case, there is not enough room to mount them to the sides of the board.. i have seen some people mount them at the rear of the chassis, on the right side, and the outputs on the left side.  i was just thinking that since i already have my inputs wired up to the phase and phantom switches, that i would cut down on the amount of wire going from front to back if i kept the inputs at underneath, the pcbs, near the switches on the front panel.

hopefully i dont have to access them too often, as you are correct, it will be a little trickier if i have to remove the PCB to get at it.

Mike

Whatever works. I think you want at least ~ 3 inches between inputs and outputs. I probably would've went for a deeper case and kept the inputs/outputs behind each card. Just try to keep the inputs away from the output stage at the back of the card, i would say.

Whatever works. I think you want at least ~ 3 inches between inputs and outputs. I probably would've went for a deeper case and kept the inputs/outputs behind each card. Just try to keep the inputs away from the output stage at the back of the card, i would say, if you put them underneath.

if you go 2u its really easy to stack them on top of one another and you're left with plenty of room for the transformers (but id still suggest an external PS).  Theres a pic on my website with the 4ch unit on the home page (i think its the 4th or 5th pic in that slide show on the home page, you'll see 2 silver faced 2U pieces, the top is a 2ch version with VU meters, the one below is the 4 channel)

looks good SR1200.  I did buy a faceplate from Dan already, so they will have to be side by side.  when i get this going i'll post some pics.

mike

Hello,

Regarding, the BOM :

I ordered all the piece for one channel (everything on mouser, good) and multiply the project by four (I am doing a 4 channel one) without worrying too much about the correspondance of the quantity.

- I have OR DROP 400v 00.1uF which I can't find the use for, its not on the PCB, is that the one on the output transformer ? There are huge to solder there!
- I am missing some 470u/35v which appears at the count of one piece per channel on the BOM where there is actually 3 of those on the PCB Board.
- I got everything else with the good count.

I am wainting for the transformer now.

PS :
another question concerning the Polystyrene caps, how can we know if we have overheated them ? I was extra careful but I am really not shure how much they can handle heat without damage.
Althought as I planned to built another 4 channel piece if I am happy with this project, can we use other cap like ceramic ones instead of those. I have seen many photos here where people did not use polystyrene caps. I know they are 'sounding better' but since the risk of overheating them is real, I am trying to evaluate if caps subsitute would not be worth avoiding the overheat problems.

Built 6 of em and haven't melted one yet.  If you're that concerned, you can use a heatsink clip on the lead as you solder them.  (very cheap thing to buy)  Keep in mind also that there are parts that are in the BOM that are NOT on the board.  Theres a resistor and cap that go ON the output transformer.

...which is also a good reason NOT to get into the habit of simply copying a BOM and ordering it.
You should specifically go through the BOM and make sure that each of the parts is what you want, will fit, etc etc.

I love making up my own BOM's if i commit to a project. I get to specify and make sure that all parts will work, are the quality i want, etc.

Thanks for the feedback on the polystyrene caps.
As for the BOM, I did try to sort it out but it's my first time !
Anyway to be sure, is the C9 on the Section EH10023-2 the cap that goes on the output transformer ?
Thanks

started my ez1290 using  bc184c and some how ended up short.  i just ordered these on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BC184C-Manu-FAIRCHILD-Encapsulation-TO-92-Silicon-NPN-Small-Signal-/380556274486?
they say fairchild so im thinking they're not knock offs. has anybody tried them?

Shame we can display the 73 pages of this thread at once for printing purpose, so I have to admit I did not read it all, I am doing it, though...
Sorry in advance in case the question has already been asked.
My knowledge about PSU is limited.
What is the best solution to power a 4-channel unit knowing that in the near future I will build a 8-channel one.
Is it better to use two external PSU or one for the 8 channels knowing that it will only serve for some time to power up 4 channels ?

Thanks a lot.
Alex

sr. thanks for the offer. i would  definitely like to take some off your hands.  not sure how many i need at the moment . i ordered 10 but i think i only need 5 or 6 . i'll have to check. i think  i'd rather eat the $10 and be sure i have a real bc184. when i checked them out on the fairchild web site there was a warning about the prevalance of counterfeit ics flooding the market. i'll pm you.
did you ever make any of those  omni mics with the panasonic wm61 capsules. i hear the capsule is discontinued.i ordered10 of those and will not need them all.  if you never got around to getting and building with them i can share some. if you did i'd like to hear your impressions of the project. i'll contact you soon.(project is at work wont be able to check the amount i need till monday)
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Id be interested in seeing if the BC's i got are fake... hmmm... i used em in the last EZ1073 i did from colin, unit sounds great.  As for the lil mic, i did build one, but i have NOT the skill to make the chassis the way i want so the proto was a bit noisy.  I have a bunch of the printed boards here that i haven't done anything with.  Id love to find a nice donor body or something to fit em into.  Maybe ill talk to chunger.  K enough of the hijack lol.  If ya need more BC;s just gimme a shout. :)

madriaanse said:
Not sure if this has been posted up already, but Dan is making frontpanels for this project again:

http://www.collectivecases.com/ez1290.html

Best,

M.
I was wondering, if there were some other versions (with the blue neve style face plate ?)
Thanks to let me know.
Alex

alexidoia said:
I was wondering, if there were some other versions (with the blue neve style face plate ?)
Thanks to let me know.
Alex

Hi Alex. Not to sound dismissive or rude, but it's generally expected that people find out basic questions such as these, on their own. Otherwise we would have a forum (instead of being filled with important questions) filled with generic, easy to figure out filler.

In DIY(do it yourself), it's expect that you help yourself....mostly. Search, email dan, search and keep searching....if you find it very difficult to locate, chances are, it doesn't exist....therefore, spend some time learning frontpanel express(it isn't that tough) and make your own custom blue panel, etc....or take the initiative to inquire to one of the vendors about it.

Years ago....the general forum was pretty solid on this...people that didn't help themselves, were peristantly ignored...while people that showed some hard work, with good questions were happily helped.

Back