insulating holes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrigotti

I have been slowly starting my LA2A project. I worked on the metal work this weekend. Drilling holes (especially rectangular holes) is always tedious work.

When it came to the transformer holes (A10 and A24) I had to drill out to the biggest bit I had (i.e. 7/8ths) and use a metal file for the rest. The hole turned out fine, but I am a little concerned about the edge of the hole touching the transformer terminals. I have about 1/8th of an inch all the way around, but I was wondering if anyone has insulated the inside edge of the hole to make sure there is no shorting to the chasis either by physical contact or (I know this is high improbable) by arcing.

I was thinking something like tape or paint.

Any input on this?

I thought this thread was entitled "Insulting holes" at first glance, then I realized it had nothing to do with girls who are insulting nor methods of insulting them. :twisted:

Making the hole bigger as suggested is probably your best bet. You also could use a rubber gromet.

There is stuff called caterpiller for metal cutouts. It is a plastic U channel with cuts into so it can be fit to cutouts for protection. There is also rubber U channel.

I would check McMaster Carr.

Back